1983 XS650 Heritage Special

LocoKen

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't remember how long I've been a member here but decided it was time to let the cat out of the bag and show you what I found here recently. I apologize if you see this post before I add pics (it's 2:00am here and I can't sleep), but I will upload some later on today when I get the bike out of the garage.

For starters, this bike is in pretty good shape. I bought this off of a gentleman who had this bike serviced quite often and has had many parts replaced with new factory parts such as side covers, gas tank rubber, seat, just to name a few. There are a few things that are character givers, but nothing I have to take care of right now. I should say that I have plans to modify this into a bobber, even though it's in pretty good condition just the way it is. Don't worry, my plans are to strip the motor, front forks, wheels, and a few other miscellaneous things to build the said bobber and put the rest in storage, just in case I want to put it all back to original. I will build my own frame, pipes, handlebars, you name it so as not to ruin anything about the originals. The only thing I will do is rephase the motor, but that will be done later.

So, for right now, I'm going to enjoy this bike just the way she is and only start the change once I have the parts and money to do so. In saying that, I've got some questions for you fine people.

1. After cleaning out the tank and petcocks (this bike had been sitting for awhile and was caked with rust deposits all over inside the tank and varnish deposits throughout the carbs & petcocks), I put everything all back together to get her going and she started right up! She is running a little rough and does better when given more throttle. I did buy a simple rebuild kit for each carb off of Mike'sXS because I lost an o-ring and ruined a needle valve in the process of taking them apart and getting things cleaned (put the needle valve in solvent and melted the rubber tip....lesson learned). How do I diagnose where the problem is coming from not knowing the in's/out's of carb part functions? It has the stock air cleaners and nothing else seems to be disconnected (vacuum hoses, etc).

2. The clutch is very stiff and will stall the bike pretty easy if I don't give it plenty of gas off the start. It also has a tendency to slip a little at higher RPM's, or at least in 5th gear when I'm topped out. Is it time for a new clutch, or do I just need to make adjustments?

I have many questions on rephasing and have read the thread here on doing so, but will save those for the rebuild. Well, that's about it for now. I also have more questions but can't think of them at the moment. Now it's 2:30am and I'm starting to space out staring at this screen. I will be sure to post up pics later for you so don't fret. Thanks again, and I look forward to getting acquainted with fellow riders here. Take it easy!

Last edited:
Here's the pics I promised.

71f50abb.jpg

25bc7ea3.jpg

3613222c.jpg

3e2e1110.jpg

Last edited:
It has a 1980 seat on it judging by the cover and the shape both. Less of a step; better comfort and looks. I wouldn't do anything to that except ride it. I'd put on CB750 handlebars, since the buckhorns affect my shoulders very adversely...

Haaaaa. Just noticed the speedo. What is up with THAT?

Wow. You're very observant! I was wondering how long it would take someone to notice. Just having a little fun with PS. :D

I added another one in for your enjoyment. (second post)

It has a 1980 seat on it judging by the cover and the shape both. Less of a step; better comfort and looks. I wouldn't do anything to that except ride it. I'd put on CB750 handlebars, since the buckhorns affect my shoulders very adversely...
Now that you say that, I remember the previous owner mentioning something about the bike being lowered just a little. Something to do with the shocks as well. Thanks for pointing it out for me. I would have never known the difference.

And yeah, I hate those handlebars. That was going to be one of my next questions on what style and where to get a set. Thanks for the info. I greatly appreciate it!

^Yes. CB750 handlebars come in a wide variety over the years and they fit perfectly. I got mine on ebay for about $11. That particular one was about the same height, but the ends swing out to the side so that the palms face down. Better on the shoulder, plus much more powerful grip on the brake lever.

1> Chances are your carbs aren't as clean as they need to be.
2> Lube the cable.
Nice looking bike. Does it run in the 10's with nothin on your mind?
The chain guard a photochop 2?

1> Chances are your carbs aren't as clean as they need to be.
2> Lube the cable.
1. Could a liquid gas treatment be beneficial? I thoroughly cleaned everything that I could on the carbs and even replaced a few things just to be sure. I'm not an expert at it but I tried to be as detailed as possible with them. I also haven't tuned them at all because I have no idea on what to do.
2. I'm taking it spraying lubricating spray down the cable while working it in is what you're talking about, correct?

Nice looking bike. Does it run in the 10's with nothin on your mind?
The chain guard a photochop 2?
Ha ha....no. The only thing PS'd in these pics is the spedo, the license plate, and my parking sticker. Everything else is as you see it. No chain guard, or at least it didn't come with one when I bought it.....or am I missing something?

Some think the chemicals do the job.
I like to see a good stream of carb cleaner coming through the pilot holes at the throttel/butterfly plates.
If you haven't read the carb guide, it helps you to understand what is happening.
As far as the carbs go they aren't that complex. You could tune one at a time that way you have an example "how it should be" with the other.

5twins has convinced me it is less trouble to just drip some motor oil on the cables.
The service manual calls for 30 weight for lubrication at several points.

^Yes, what is up down there? On this one, can't tell what's messed up for real and what's photo shopped :)

Heritage specials have "beauty covers" over the lower frames on both sides that's what looks strange.

What's up with the swing arm bolt, both sides look odd?
Does it look brazed on the left side to any one else?
With the nut missing on the right?

BWHAHAHA
What xjwmx said!!

Purplezinger I outlined the beauty cover.

Locoken I also out lined the chain guard. Someone left only part of yours ...however it was done

Attachments

• DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00040.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 422
^Yes, what is up down there? On this one, can't tell what's messed up for real and what's photo shopped :)

I'm not exactly sure what the deal is with the swing arm bolt. It looks as if it was welded at some point in time. Both sides. I'm not an expert when it comes to bikes by any means so I have no idea why they would be welded. I'll take closer pics tomorrow and post them here.

And trust me, the only things PS'd are the speedo, license plate, and my college parking sticker. Everything else is untouched. Nothing else on the bike is PS'd. I started by doing the license plate just for security reasons like other people do as well and decided to have a little fun with it to see if anyone was paying attention. Not trying to deceive anyone here, just keeping things safe.

Back