1st wash on my 41 year old bike with a 1000 miles on it

Smorg

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
20220914_175828.jpg

What's been done to it since it came out of the bedroom?
Tires and oil at minimum I hope.
The owner who passed away had a step-son with a Harley repair-sales shop. They also work on vintage Honda's. $1600.00 for the bike to the Son, $700.00 to the Stepson shop owner. Shop did Carbs, Changed Brake Fluid, changed Oil 2x, buffed chrome & Washed most of the dust off it. checked/lubed chain, test drove it steep for the labor at $700, but it runs like a top. Plus the son originally wanted 3800 and the stepson helped talk him down to 1600. I'm paying 100 per week for 16 weeks, but he gave me the title so I could license it and ride. So I am out $2300.00 total. Not bad I guess.

If you're going to own an old bike like this, best you learn how to do all that stuff yourself or it might put you in the "poor house", lol. It's not that difficult and is all outlined on the site here somewhere.

If you're going to own an old bike like this, best you learn how to do all that stuff yourself or it might put you in the "poor house", lol. It's not that difficult and is all outlined on the site here somewhere.
not 1st time around, just 1st Yamaha twin. Owned 4 Honda's (Nighthawks 2002-250, 1985-450, and 1998-750 plus one 1982-CX500 and a 1985 Suzuki GS450. Done basic carb cleaning with jewelry cleaner, petcock work, replaced clutch cables and some electrical including chasing a short and replacing fuse box. Don't like taking off tires so I pay for new tires and for chain/sprocket replacement. One thing about the Honda's the had awesome sites especially the CX500. Met a stranger in a Wisconsin and drove there and he helped me clean carbs in Jewelry cleaner my 1st time. None of my other bikes had a cotter pin on rear axle. Yamaha is very well built, equal of the Honda's if not better. The Honda's all were more utilitarian, and the Nighthawks all came with toolkits in addition to their center stand. Wanted another Night Hawk 650/700s/ or 750 with the 700s as my goal then I found the xs650.
Not as powerful as my old 750 but not as wide either and easier to flick around. Can't quite say if it is my favorite bike ever of the ones I have owned. I will say it is the first one I have named.

It's Hi-Ho Silver! Away!

Back