2014 Build Off Bike - La Muerte

SangreDeDios

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
This is my entry into the 2014 xs build off.
A little background story :

I own a shop in Detroit, MI with a couple of friends, we've been around for about a year and have done some cool projects a couple of which were xs650s.
My last bike was an xs that I built, rode all summer and recently got rid of and picked up an old ironhead.
Here is a pic of the old xs.

full

A couple of days after I got rid of my xs I realized that I missed the crap out of it and needed to build another one for myself. We did some work for a customer and got this titled frame and motor as a partial payment so this is what I'm starting with.
full

I knew I wanted another hardtail so I removed the motor (seems to be in good shape) and started on the frame.

full

full

I started off by removing the neck gussets and all of the tabs for wires on the downtubes.

full

then I decided to remove the top motor mount and the brace. the frame will receive new gussets and bracing in the future but im not planning on running a top motor mount. I know , I know Yamaha engineers put it there for a reason blah blah, youre gonna kill yourself blah blah, I'm good thanks for your concerns. It's all good.

full

full

chopped off the rear portion of the frame, getting it ready for a hardtail.

full

full

originally I was planning on going with a Voodoo hardtail but monstercraftsman apparently does not like to answer his emails or phone calls.
My partner bought a David Bird tail for one of his projects but ended up not using it so I picked that up from him and decided to go with that instead.

full

here it is mocked up

full

Next we welded it on, looks good, I'm happy with it.

full

the plan is to keep building it, we ll have some cool bits made at our shop on this bike and it will hopefully be used to showcase the shop next March at Autorama Detroit.

that's about it for now, I couldn't resist throwing it into a quick roller just to see the stance. I had the wheels and front end in the parts bin already, so far no money has been spent on this project. My budget for it is non existent so we ll see what we can do with limited funds. The tank and seat won't be on this bike they're just there for mock up purposes.

full

full

full

full

more to come soon.

Cool thread bro, what's the name of your shop? Myself and Livingdeadmc are in the Howell area. We'd love to swing by and check it out some time.

Last edited:
death speed garage. we're right downtown detroit. Derek's been here once. you and Jay are more then welcome to come by anytime.

Thanks brother, Michigan is freaking representin' in this build off! I'll talk to Jay and we'll figure out a day to shoot over and hang with you guys.

I like the look of the db loop hardtails I have one of my A.C.O. bike I did a few years back. I may have to make a trip to Michigan and check out some shops.

so my next dilemma, TIRES!!

trying to figure out if I want to go with vintage firestone type a tire or modern tires front and back.
anyone got pics of either, I'm being very indecisive here. looking to maybe see modern sportsbike front end rear on mags? or some non skinny vintage stuff?
anyone got an idea out there? I'm split between the two types here

If you plan to rock those mags run Avon Distanzias! They're aggressive and look mean as fuck. Vintage, I'd run coker diamond treaded tires.

damn the distanzias are bad ass but I dont see them in 16 for the rear. if I can find it in 16 I might do that, thanks jdizon

Back