'74 RD350. Yeah... I know....

Those DG pipes look like they need the spigots welded on... I keep noticing a LOT of 70-80s bikes for sale in Iowa🤔 I wonder why the concentration of bikes in that area.

Well... a restoration is out of the question. No one's said anything yet, but a good look at the pics will tell you why. ;)
Ok the suspense is killing me! What is it? I didn't see anything other than the head pipe somebody hacked off with an acetylene torch, and the front end looks a little, errr, rusty.....

Jim, my man, I love ya...but you SUCK! :poke:

Like (I suspect) most married men, I negotiate things with the CFO before running out and buying "Stuff". That bike is one of the few things I'd have just went and got and let the chips fall where they may.

She'd have been seriously pissed and wouldn't talk to me for days, if not weeks, but I wouldn't notice as I'd be down in the shop cleaning, polishing, fondling and dreaming of the day it would go RIIINNNNGGGG ding ding ding ding...
Ya know why women close their eyes during sex?

Because they can't stand to see a man have a good time!

Ok the suspense is killing me! What is it? I didn't see anything other than the head....
You were lookin' in the right direction anyway. Look on the intake side.... no reed cage. And look at the engine side covers. They have hard edges... 'sposed to be rounded.

Both are R5 engines, not RD's. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter at all. Both model engines are within a cats whisker on power.
The RD has a 6 speed tranny vs the R5's 5 speed. Both tranny's will interchange. RD jugs with the reeds will swap without problems.... the cases are identical, so I can build 'em either way. But the dead giveaway will always be the R5 prefix stamped on the cases... instead of 351.

Last edited:
zz.png

1665069937174.png

The 6-speed RD is close ratio through the middle gears; 1st and top-gear ratios vs. 5-speed R5 are very similar. Except on mountain twisties, not a big deal. The reed valve improved mid-range and broadened "power-band" effect @ 5K, also not a big deal - actually lessened the "yee-haw" factor many enjoyed:D

I missed the pics of the DG "spigots", usually slip-fit into a flange bolted to cylinder - will drool if mixture too rich.
Yeah, so far they're MIA. Still haven't gone through everything in detail though. 'Spose I could make 'em if I can't find a set somewhere.

Finding stuff as I unpack.....

There's two sets of side covers. One R5 set and one RD set. The R5 set has a mounting hole broke off. I could weld it up and re-drill it, but I prefer the look of the RD covers anyway. So, problem solved.
Also found an extra set of exhaust flanges and cutoff header pipe. Measured and the pipe slides into the DG pipes nicely.
So, problem solved there too.

zz.png

1665078508068.png

Yessir, a Rupp minibike. As JP so kindly provided us a link to an excellent historical perspective of Rupp Industries production, you can find out all about them. Mine is a bit of a mutt, which suits me fine. It was probably originally a 1970-and-up Roadster, had an HS40 Tecumseh engine, 10" wire wheels and a Comet torque convertor. It did originally have mechanical brakes and sprung but un-dampened forks and a sprung/dampened swingarm. Mine now has a hot-rodded Briggs 5 hp engine, hydraulic forks, disc brake and a bunch of other mods. I don't wanna contaminate the XS site with pics of all this, unless the readership is curious...
Two wheels is cool, even with a briggs!

Back