'74 RD350. Yeah... I know....

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing that article JP. They also made a brown coloured bike in 1974! Honda did too I think. Wonder what it was with these manufacturers making brown bikes in the mid '70s? What a bizarre colour to have chosen.

Atom4488 - a Rupp minibike!? I remember Rupp snowmobiles in the '70s - I didn't know they built minibikes. Cool history. Is it red?
Yessir, a Rupp minibike. As JP so kindly provided us a link to an excellent historical perspective of Rupp Industries production, you can find out all about them. Mine is a bit of a mutt, which suits me fine. It was probably originally a 1970-and-up Roadster, had an HS40 Tecumseh engine, 10" wire wheels and a Comet torque convertor. It did originally have mechanical brakes and sprung but un-dampened forks and a sprung/dampened swingarm. Mine now has a hot-rodded Briggs 5 hp engine, hydraulic forks, disc brake and a bunch of other mods. I don't wanna contaminate the XS site with pics of all this, unless the readership is curious...

Jim, my man, I love ya...but you SUCK! :poke:

Like (I suspect) most married men, I negotiate things with the CFO before running out and buying "Stuff". That bike is one of the few things I'd have just went and got and let the chips fall where they may.

She'd have been seriously pissed and wouldn't talk to me for days, if not weeks, but I wouldn't notice as I'd be down in the shop cleaning, polishing, fondling and dreaming of the day it would go RIIINNNNGGGG ding ding ding ding...
RIIINNNNGGGG ding ding ding ding.... YEAH!!!

Here you go Jim! A little inspiration, this guy does a complete restoration on a ‘74 RD350 in only 18 minutes!
The video is well filmed, well lit, you can see everything clearly, and the best part? Not one word spoken!

Have you thought about what direction you want to take this bike? Are you thinking basically stock but with those DG chambers?

Signed, Living Vicariously through you! 😄

Here you go Jim! A little inspiration, this guy does a complete restoration on a ‘74 RD350 in only 18 minutes!
The video is well filmed, well lit, you can see everything clearly, and the best part? Not one word spoken!

Have you thought about what direction you want to take this bike? Are you thinking basically stock but with those DG chambers?

Signed, Living Vicariously through you! 😄
Well... a restoration is out of the question. No one's said anything yet, but a good look at the pics will tell you why. ;)
Having said that, I don't want to do anything to the frame that would prevent returning it to stock... no sawzall on the tabs, rear hoop or any other such silliness.
JP's bike is a good example of where I want to go with it. The stock tank I got with it is nice and clean on the inside, so I might (probably) stick with it, but I was thinking more along the lines of a bigger tank with the knee depressions.
Not sure of the color(s) yet, but they won't be stock.
Dunno... I have this vision, but I've never actually defined it in words. I'll work on that.

. . . and the best part? Not one word spoken!
How true! One of my pet hates is videos where some idiot feels it necessary to give a long, repetitive, rambling, repetitive, irrelevant and repetitive intro before they even get into the action.

This is how vids should be.

Last edited:
Back