$9,000 craigslist chopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
1655385267857.jpeg

1655385459912.png

Hmmm….. I remember quite well when that was a thing.

Indeed it was a thing, and a comical thing it was from time to time. The Honda shop where I worked part time as a salesman put a policy in place after one of our mechanics got killed test riding an unsafely modded bike: No test rides and therefore no guarantee for work done on any bike with apes, hard tails, or extended forks.

So Billy Badass brings in his CB750 with 12" over extended forks to get cables, wiring, and brake line fitted. When Billy takes delivery he winds the motor up, making lots of noise with his straight pipes, drops the clutch, and goes tearassing down the street--for about a block, when he has to grab all the brake he's got because an old lady pulled out of a side street in front of him. The old gal had just enough sense to get out of the way fast, but Bad Billy's troubles were only starting. Remember how flimsy some of those aftermarket tubes were? Billy's fork tubes folded up, and he went sliding down the street grinding the front of the frame cradle, throwing sparks like 4th of July fireworks. He'd gotten everybody in the shop to look because of all the noise he'd made, and we all rushed outside, howling and hooting like monkeys, partly because of the clown show and partly because we were relieved that the clown wasn't hurt.

Last edited:
Speaking of English, by 1970 handling was the only thing a Triumph or BSA twin had left to recommend it. Chopping a Turnip or a Beezer produced a machine that wasn't particularly fast, handled like a truck, and could be relied upon to give the owner a 1:1 ratio of hours riding to hours wrenching.

Speaking of English, by 1970 handling was the only thing a Triumph or BSA twin had left to recommend it. Chopping a Turnip or a Beezer produced a machine that wasn't particularly fast, handled like a truck, and could be relied upon to give the owner a 1:1 ratio of hours riding to hours wrenching.
Yeah, but…..
1655394868089.png

You've all seen me go off on the Sawzall, me too crowd. This isn't another one of those moments.
Instead Dick is going to ask "Who are you and what did you do with Dennis?"

TrBobber.jpg

In some curious fashion, I like it. I do like minimalist, visceral contact with the combustion process machines. This is one of the few. I'm sure my body wouldn't take much of this but I'd ride it.
I'd much rather the foot shift was present but ...

Oh, that's just beautiful, those forks are gonna have at most 1/2" of travel with a rider in the saddle and bottom right out under even mild braking, and there's enough cable looping around to strangle yourself on. It would take some serious viscera and not much sense to ride that thing, But that's OK, Dennis, I have my crazy moments too. I'll try really, really hard to forget I saw that thing.

Oh, that's just beautiful, those forks are gonna have at most 1/2" of travel with a rider in the saddle and bottom right out under even mild braking, and there's enough cable looping around to strangle yourself on. It would take some serious viscera and not much sense to ride that thing, But that's OK, Dennis, I have my crazy moments too. I'll try really, really hard to forget I saw that thing.
But Dick, it's got plenty of travel on the seat springs to make up for it!

Look again, O Okefenokean! As soon as a butt settles itself on that seat, the seat is going to bottom out on the fender. If I was still a drinking man I'd pour down enough brandy to kill enough brain cells to purge the image of that mess clean out of my memory.

Say, have you seen Pogo, Porky, Miz Fifi, Miz Beaver, Albert, Harlan, Beauregard, and the rest of that crew lately? If you do, give those critters my best regards and tell them I miss them.

Look again, O Okefenokean! As soon as a butt settles itself on that seat, the seat is going to bottom out on the fender. If I was still a drinking man I'd pour down enough brandy to kill enough brain cells to purge the ge of that mess clean out of my memory.

Say, have you seen Pogo, Porky, Miz Fifi, Miz Beaver, Albert, Harlan, Beauregard, and the rest of that crew lately? If you do, give those critters my best regards and tell them I miss them.
That was my poorly executed attempt at sarcasm. I totally agree with you, it's brutal. Kinda like the "Pro Street" car craze of a few years back, big blower stickin' out of the hood that you can't see around, locker diff that clunks and chatters, a lumpy cam that won't idle below 2000 rpm and last but not least, a 3500 stall converter guaranteeing that you will chirp the tires at every redlight, making officer Bimbo's day. BTW, did see a Pygmy Rattlesnake out by my shop the other day, and possums? just about every night.

Hardtail Hate is strong on this forum.
Denigrating individuals and their bikes because it doesn't fit "your" taste. Obviously they aren't real bikes... pathetic, absurd condemnation from a whole lotta meely mouths. Absolutely ridiculous.
Many, many, many motorcycle enthusiasts love RIDING their hardtailed bikes. Multitudes of babes (those that don't weigh more than your bike) stroll right by your stock ride to climb on that hardtail and laugh as they go by your lurking azz. Motorcycles for many are are a reflection of their individuality. They are also a reflection of the intended use of the bike. It is clearly obvious there is a pathetic elitist attitude from some that those who don't conform to the stock style are merely brain dead Neanderthals far far beneath the self appointed demigods that so freely disperse their personal hatred of hardtails.
What is more laughable is the bike being held in such high esteem over these custom builds is the xs650. ???????????
Really?????
The xs650 has NEVER been a top level bike.
NEVER.
It has always been an underperformer in every aspect of bike riding. I have great respect for those that restore these bikes even if I would never own a stock xs650 personally. I can still appreciate the effort and work that go into restorations, including resto-mods. I'm far less of a fan of survivor bikes but I am smart enough to know that they have a purpose. I most certainly wouldn't denigrate those that migrate toward that segment of the bike community or the bike they own. I believe that ALL segments (Restos, Cafe, Survivor, Hardtail, et al) have a place in the community and deserve RESPECT. Furthermore the community is far better served by variety than it is by being bound within a singular clique.
Of course this sentiment is not from one of the cliquers... I am from the outside without any previous ties or emotions of previous xs650 ownership from back in the day. I test drove the xs650 new. I didn't care for it. It was a serious underperformer.... Handling, Power, Braking.
I bought a 77 Honda 750F instead. The xs650 wasn't even comparable..
I outlined my reasons for choosing an xs650 for this build in my thread "Why the xs650?"
Basically because it is so available, relatively cheap, and EASILY MODIFIED.
Basically, about the only things that will be stock xs650 on my bike will be the engine cases and covers, along with the rims.
Personally I wouldn't own a bike that looked like someone else's. But that is just me.
Doesn't mean I can't appreciate a bike even if I have seen 6 others just like it. I most certainly would never demean somebody that likes and enjoys and perhaps even takes pride in their "Cookie Cutter" because it doesn't suit my taste.
I'm beginning to think that not only have numerous babes walked right by you and your ride to climb on a hardtail; but more than likely a special one must have climbed off your bike and got on a hardtail. Intense hatred such as that being displayed comes from some deep seated issues. I think Dr. Phil is still taking guests..
To believe that a hardtail can't perform is pure ignorance. They are still winning classic races on ovals as well as road courses running against suspension frames. But then again, if it is actually "performance" a rider wants; he's not climbing on an xs650....
Of course this thread was originally about a $9000 chopper before it was turned into a Hater Rally. As many here have said, a custom will very rarely ever bring back a return. Usually not on parts and most definitely not on the labor.
Unless you are a pro with a stalwart reputation as a builder and usually then it only pays when being custom built for a customer with deep pockets.
Much better chance of a ROI the closer you stay to original. We all see ridiculous prices for all segments of the xs650 world with regularity.
We also find the occasional "DEAL".
Unless you are named gggGary and the machines just magically pile up in the world renowned Shed of Ill Repute. Rumour is some even have cash stashed behind the side covers.
Anyways...
Hard to reconcile the good ole forum philosophy about this site being for ALL things xs650 (choppers cafe, stock).
Makes the big forum welcome more than a bit hollow when threads like this are filled with such vitriol and hatred. But hey...
I guess when you truly despise something or somebody it can be difficult not to make certain everyone knows.
More respectable than backstabbing.
But only barely.

Last edited:
"XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha 650 twin motorcycles (XS-1, XS-2, TX650, and XS650) and to their owners who love to ride, restore, and customize them. All XS650 enthusiasts are welcome regardless of where you are from or whether you are into XS650 choppers, bobbers, cafe racers, trackers, or restorations. Shops and companies that support the XS650 community are also welcome here. Our members are what make this site great and we hope you will join in and help build this great resource."

Last edited:
Aeehh everyone knows that you dont talk trash about other peoples motorcycles.
As you dont do of a friends new girlfriend miss Lolita
And should you choose to do it ---I dont think any owner cares .. He knows that he himself has the best finest motorcycle in the world.
And the script is you are a part of that street play acting with the situation.
It can even change over night when he replace the chopper for something with spring suspension end e starter .
He wont tell anyone He cant start it cant ride it ( the chopper )
And then again have the best motorcycle in the world. And the play goes on

Nothing will change that except perhaps asking $ 9000 for a Motorcycle that is not worth that for that many others
That is the beauty with a market it sets the economic value Which can be different from the personal value.
And motorcycles evoke feelings ..

The price looks a bit on the high side even a factor 2 x even 3 x ..for us has been doing this for many years .But who knows
When I heard of a BMW airhead mid 60 ies model sold early 90 ies for $ 18.500 I had a jaw dropping moment.
Clueless...

And it is safe to say that Mr Grizid is not a fan of Choppers ..Or ?? --lol

But this is entertaining reading with free writing some of it with surprisingly high quality from many viewpoints.
Keep it on.

Please note, BluzPlayer: No one attacked you. No one badmouthed your bike. No one told you that you could not participate in this forum in any way you see fit. And most important, no one told you that you would see only views with which you agree. If you saw "hate and vitriol" in this thread instead of humor and at worst mild distaste, you might consider seeing a dermatologist about that thin skin. It can warp a person's perceptions.

"XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha 650 twin motorcycles (XS-1, XS-2, TX650, and XS650) and to their owners who love to ride, restore, and customize them. All XS650 enthusiasts are welcome regardless of where you are from or whether you are into XS650 choppers, bobbers, cafe racers, trackers, or restorations. Shops and companies that support the XS650 community are also welcome here. Our members are what make this site great and we hope you will join in and help build this great resource."

Well Griz..
Sure enough no one attacked my bike or myself.
I suppose that means I should just scroll on and watch the Hate Wagon roll on by.
It is no surprise that these types of comments pop up on these Craigslist type threads.
The bike's owner is not present to read the disparaging remarks. No harm done.
Yea.. I get it.
Postings of these non member machines invite opinions that are not generally acceptable
if used about a members motorcycle. So when the opportunity presents itself....
Yea.. Why not just get real and tell us how you really feel.
I mean my skin is fine, so let it loose. I don't find myself insulted by asinine comments.
I don't have a problem with it. I am the opposite of politically correct.
I prefer straight shooters. I prefer the honesty. Knowing where people stand.
The first line of my reply says it clearly...
"Hardtail Hate is strong on this forum."
It is an observation. It is as obvious as the sun in the sky. It's not just you.
The vast majority of active members are advocates of stock/semi stock bikes.
Nothing wrong with that. It is to be expected.
It is easy to see by observing the membership's bike selections.
It is reflected in the membership voted calendar.
It is made abundantly clear when perusing the comments of similar threads.
There are a few like yourself that are spectacularly clear about their distaste for hardtails.
No "Perception" required. My posting simply pointed it out.
I am more disappointed in your failure to just own it than I am by your postings.

Hiding behind the weak azz cowardly humor attempt excuse... sheesh.

My mistake.. My apologies.. Totally sincere. You are a hilarious comedian and I simply missed the high browed humor you are flinging.
I mean this entire forum is aware that you are actually a hardtail aficionado and you are filled with nothing but love for all things xs650, especially hardtails. No doubt your postings are littered with examples showing the true you and your love of hardtail bikes. Yea, Let's go with that.
Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back