A 5 bike collection

Nothing wrong with that repair if done with the DevCon high priced spread.
In severe cases I've used stainless steel pot screens as reinforcement and in "concrete fence" only a lot smaller ;-)

I still need to update the old moma Yama carb cleaner formula recipe ....
The bowls are the same as late model XS so a good one went on in the mangled bustard's place.
Another bowl had also been wacked on.
KIMG1223.JPG
Carbs actually weren't that bad, inside or the reinstall process.
Annnd back together and running.
KIMG1234.JPG
Fuel gauge works, ALL warning lights are extinguished,
raining, so a road test will have to wait.
Also waiting on that dual banjo bleeder bolt for the combined front rear brake lines.
Think that will get me to a hard brake pedal.

Those carbs are a mess...once you get everything all cleaned up and have new O rings on the eliminator tool..I'd be curious to know your opinion...aka verdict on blocking the YICS ports off or just synching the carbs then removing YICS eliminator tool...The 1st 2 yrs of the XS1100 were 95 hp from the factory..by the ttime we get to 1982 were down to about 79hp FYI
Did the synch "on the bench" using thin slice of light under the butterflies eyeball method, from previous experience that is all that's needed, 'specially since the YICS connects the 4 intakes. I don't plan on putting that rod back in. But might try it as an experiment one day.
Yeah I'm jones'n for dry roads!
Next up going through the XS1, get ready for Paris.

Those carbs are a mess...once you get everything all cleaned up and have new O rings on the eliminator tool..I'd be curious to know your opinion...aka verdict on blocking the YICS ports off or just synching the carbs then removing YICS eliminator tool...The 1st 2 yrs of the XS1100 were 95 hp from the factory..by the ttime we get to 1982 were down to about 79hp FYI
You made me look!
hmm, everything I found online said the XJ11 maxim made the same 95HP as the XS11.

You made me look!
hmm, everything I found online said the XJ11 maxim made the same 95HP as the XS11.
not accurate information...they have extrapolated those numbers based on the 1978/79 model years..yes they all say the XJ1100 has 95 hp..they're all wrong...especially with the emissions controls with the YICS system it robs hp ..thats why most people leave the tool in there..

Last edited:
This discussion says the XJ engine was detuned due to EPA emissions..Scroll down to TC and Jerry's comments...No way was it 95 hp...but they dont say what the actual hp rating was...
http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21283
and further discussion...
#9 Report Post
Old
10-31-2013, 10:52 PM
DGXSER's AvatarDGXSER

Doctor of XSology(Deceased)
The transmission and its gearing is identical. The engine is very very similar. Not sure of compression numbers, but then almost every year of the XS engine had slightly different numbers for overall performance. Different cams, different pistons in 80-81, timing changes. Etc..

The biggest difference from the XS series engines to the XJ was the YICS system. The XJ has the YICS which basically is a way to equalize engine vacuum across all four cylinders. The biggest hassle is the need to block off the ports to properly synch the carbs. Most folks by the YICS eliminator and leave it installed permanently. Eliminating the YICS system.

The engine will bolt straight up into an XS frame, the same carbs, exhaust, U-joint, etc will all bolt right up. The XJ has an oil level light instead of an oil pressure switch. IT also has the clutch and side stand safety switches.

The XJ uses a vacuum sensor to signal the TCI of engine vacuum and the vac advance is built into the TCI. So you will want to pull the timing assembly off your F engine and put it in the XJ, so it continues to place nice with your TCI. The XJ being a one year model those TCI are harder to come by.

From a performance reference, the F was a stronger engine than the XJ. more powerful timing setup, stronger cams, head, piston combo. The 80's models got detuned a little for EPA purposes. However, I still believe that most of us will never use the full capabilities of these machines enough to notice.

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
93 GSX600F
80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
81 XS1100 Special
81 CB750 C
80 CB750 C
78 XS750

Last edited:
This discussion says the XJ engine was detuned due to EPA emissions..Scroll down to TC and Jerry's comments...No way was it 95 hp...but they dont say what the actual hp rating was...
http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21283
and further discussion...
#9 Report Post
Old
10-31-2013, 10:52 PM
DGXSER's Avatar's AvatarDGXSER

Doctor of XSology(Deceased)
The transmission and its gearing is identical. The engine is very very similar. Not sure of compression numbers, but then almost every year of the XS engine had slightly different numbers for overall performance. Different cams, different pistons in 80-81, timing changes. Etc..

The biggest difference from the XS series engines to the XJ was the YICS system. The XJ has the YICS which basically is a way to equalize engine vacuum across all four cylinders. The biggest hassle is the need to block off the ports to properly synch the carbs. Most folks by the YICS eliminator and leave it installed permanently. Eliminating the YICS system.

The engine will bolt straight up into an XS frame, the same carbs, exhaust, U-joint, etc will all bolt right up. The XJ has an oil level light instead of an oil pressure switch. IT also has the clutch and side stand safety switches.

The XJ uses a vacuum sensor to signal the TCI of engine vacuum and the vac advance is built into the TCI. So you will want to pull the timing assembly off your F engine and put it in the XJ, so it continues to place nice with your TCI. The XJ being a one year model those TCI are harder to come by.

From a performance reference, the F was a stronger engine than the XJ. more powerful timing setup, stronger cams, head, piston combo. The 80's models got detuned a little for EPA purposes. However, I still believe that most of us will never use the full capabilities of these machines enough to notice.

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
93 GSX600F
80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
81 XS1100 Special
81 CB750 C
80 CB750 C
78 XS750
Interesting, but not sure it's true.
Just for grins tried to pin this down,
the various "specs pages" claim the 95hp for the XJ but the only XJ11 Yamaha brochure I found didn't list HP, torque is 65ftlbs
1654430683463.png

"The biggest difference from the XS series engines to the XJ was the YICS system. The XJ has the YICS which basically is a way to equalize engine vacuum across all four cylinders."
This part isn't correct, while it does equalize, it's purpose, like similar Honda and Suzuki systems, was a way to improve combustion and efficiency at mid (cruising ) RPM.
1654432352384.png

Same with the vacuum advance, Like marty sez the XS11 wasn't noted for fuel efficiency.
Couldn't find any period magazine tests for the maxim 11 with 1/4 times. By 82 this was old tech. The XJ11 Prolly was best described as a way to eke a bit more product out of the driveline production tooling by making "special" styling changes.
Mains jets did go down from 115 to 112.5
Pilots actually went up from 42.5 to 47.5, though the carbs were changed in other ways, so???
cam is the same 79 on
3H5-12171-01-00 CAMSHAFT 1
Yamaha Motorcycle 1982 XJ1100J
Yamaha Motorcycle 1979 XS1100SF
pistons; 80 on are the same
crankshaft; same all years.

'Sposed to quit raining later, guess it will get a seat O' gggGary's pants" dyno run. LOL
Shifting is another matter, it takes some work on throttle, clutch, shift timing to get smooth shifts when honking it, tests noted "notchy" shifting as being an issue also. That's a big heavy crank etc. I did find shifting improved after some saddle time got the hands/foot timing adjusted/coordinated.
I'm not so much for top end runs, usually back off after about 100MPH though on later model big HP bikes have um "exceeded" that number, "just a little". LOL

Last edited:
Roads dried enough for a run.
Woot, woot! smooth (well smooth as an in line 4 is going to be) from idle on up, pulls STRONG from 3K
in high gear will roll on smoothly and effortlessly from 2K
Now it's acting like a Big ole 1100 should!
Get comfortable, look down at the speedo and she's rolling through 70-75MPH
Just a couple more niggles to take care of and it's up on the classies looking for it's next owner.

Roads dried enough for a run.
Woot, woot! smooth (well smooth as an in line 4 is going to be) from idle on up, pulls STRONG from 3K
in high gear will roll on smoothly and effortlessly from 2K
Now it's acting like a Big ole 1100 should!
Get comfortable, look down at the speedo and she's rolling through 70-75MPH
Just a couple more niggles to take care of and it's up on the classies looking for it's next owner.
In the 5 model years Yamaha made the XS/XJ1100..they actually lost money. because they never broke..They were over engineered for their time..This was before manufacturers learned of "planned obsolescence"...Glad to hear you have it sorted out..well done...part of me still wants it..

Dang, sorta wanting one now. There was one in the classifieds for $2100 a few weeks ago. I thought it was kind of rich, but used bike prices are generally insane this year, for what little is available.

One step forward...........
3 giant steps backward. :eek:
Under HARD acceleration, first gear skips. F ME!
This is a thing with the 1100's
It is possible to do an R&R through the tranny bellypan. But that ain't happen'n on my watch.
Anyone want to buy a really nice looking, running bike, that works great as long as you don't nail it in first?
:poo:
Cheap, ride aziz or use it for partz,
I am SO done with it.
$1500.
KIMG1148.JPG

https://madison.craigslist.org/mpo/d/baraboo-1982-yamaha-xj1100-ride-it-home/7492902059.html

Last edited:
Typical of Yamahas of this era...the gearsets wers not hardened metal..The dogs and slots that mesh the gears together have been worn down and rounded off...The cheap fix is the dremel fix..where you clean up the dogs and slots..I had this issue in 2008..Back then you could order new factory backcut gears from yamaha...but they have since become un available...1st-3rd and 2nd-4th gearsets set me back $560 at that time..but it was an easy swap and play...
Sorry you have these issues..:mad:

Last edited:
TC aka Curtis Gresham was a huge proponent of this method..I am in his garage in Portsmouth Va...and it was with his great assistance that we got the bike flipped and swapped the gears out...All the fluids have to be drained first...
TC-the-great-tinkerer-Mc-Giver-of-XS1100s[1].jpg

Damn..30 yrs of good times and memories flooding my brain...but I have no desire to repeat any of that again...Pass on this one..but it definitely has a warm spot in my heart.....

Back