A different way to remove clutch nut.

buckeyechuck

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all !

I am new here and I am in the process of stripping down my 1979 XS 650 Special. I still haven't decided if I want a chopper, bobber, insert flavor of the month build here.

Anyways I was noticing that people had trouble removing the clutch nut. I did it without any special tools except my HF electric impact wrench.

Essentially I used a small screwdriver and since I was paranoid I used a plastic tie. You could probably use the plastic ties by themselves or even a wire/coathanger.

I am sure someone else had a similar technique but I didn't find it when searching.

Attachments

• uploadclutch nut.jpg
    uploadclutch nut.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 414
@Kent yeah I thought about that method but I already had removed the rear tire but to be honest I think my torque wrench prob would have loosened it without bracing. It didn't seem stuck on.

BTW How do you torque the phillips head screws when I replace the clutch plates?

Do I use a phillips bit and insert it in the appropriate sized socket and then use my torque wrench? That's the only way I can think of to do it without switching the screws to bolts or allen head fasteners.

Yes, but the switch to Allens is the way to go.

Chuck, like 5twins said you're right about how to torque the phillips.

There's a thread here I think called 'clutch spring bolts mod' that gives a better solution if you can cut and drill the cap screws. You probably want to check that out.

Replacing the phillips with allen head screws cost me 92 cents apiece plus the time to cut and drill out the phillips to make the spacers.

They only need about 7 ft lbs which ever way you go.

Most recently to get the nut loose I just laid a wrench across the swing arm, put the bike in gear with the plates out, and let the wrench block the wheel. If you have spokes instead of mags, a pleasant outcome is not guaranteed! You can loosen or tighten the nut by putting the wrench across the top or bottom of the swing arm. Easy peasy.

@Kent yeah I thought about that method but I already had removed the rear tire but to be honest I think my torque wrench prob would have loosened it without bracing. It didn't seem stuck on.

BTW How do you torque the phillips head screws when I replace the clutch plates?

Do I use a phillips bit and insert it in the appropriate sized socket and then use my torque wrench? That's the only way I can think of to do it without switching the screws to bolts or allen head fasteners.
See www.shop.lcfabrications.com They advertise a clutch spring retainer set for XS650.

With an impact, you should be able to grab the inner clutch boss by hand and get that nut out. Nice trick, though. I'm going to remember that one (and hope to never have to use it. ;-) )

Back