Adopting another problem child

I was considering that. It may be bad as I never pulled it off the harness. I’ll try that next. Thanks.

Problem appears to be the light checker that is causing the flashing. I replaced it with a spare to see if that would do it but still flashing so it would appear the issue is in the circuit somewhere. The schematic calls the light a "failure indicator" so perhaps it is the bulb. (update) there was actually no bulb in the light. I installed one and guess what.......

It’s a shame I had no desire to fix up the TX but it did provide a great source of parts. It cleaned up nicely for a tear down and I’ll be posting parts if there’s any interest. 711120FF-1865-468D-8DC5-F83A7F3854CA.jpegE61AE7D4-8BC5-4006-82A2-933E32FC14CA.jpegAfter resolving the flashing light issue I figured I’d do the front brakes seeing as every time I wanted to go outside and do something it would start raining.D1CF57A4-F505-485C-BFFB-6493AF889D9C.jpegDA14471E-9AB8-44B5-B92C-AC4DE06062A4.jpeg

Yes, the TX/XS500 is a great source for 650 parts. I know, I've stripped 3 so far, lol. On yours, I can see a nice spare front caliper and disc. I don't think the front wheel will swap because I'm pretty sure the hub is narrower. The rear can be adapted though and is a nice "upgrade" because it has a cush drive (rubber mounted sprocket). I'm running one at the moment on my '78 .....

TX500RearFinished.jpg

Installed.jpg

Although it doesn't match, the wiring harness is a good source of colored wires and plugs. Things that can be used include the coils, handlebar switches, ignition switch, instruments, seat lock, gas cap, T.S. flasher, and possibly the rectifier. Some of the 500s came with a more modern style, totally enclosed rectifier. Change the plug and it can be used on the 650 .....

XS500Rec2.jpg

XS500Rec3.jpg

Not to mention the small coffee can full of metric nuts and bolts you can "liberate" from the thing, lol.

I ordered connectors and plugs today for that very reason. Had I been thinking I would have swapped out the hub when I did my spokes but I suppose that’s for the next one lol. Yes the front hub is about 10 mm narrower but I believe I can use the tubes and lowers. The fenders and bucket ears are different but the bucket is a match and mine actually still has the Yamaha parts sticker on it. The seat latch does not have a helmet loop but otherwise it’s the same so I have a complete set with a key once I remove the steering lock. I sold the seat for what I paid for the bike so it’s been real easy to strip it. Of course the only issue is the throttle being different but as you know I’m working on that. I have a few things left to paint (Airboxes, rear peg brackets) and a little more wiring to do but I’m getting really close…

Spent today on the front fender and painting the last remaining items(Airboxes,rear page brackets. While browsing online and looking into a potential throttle cable I ran across a replacement control set that was too good of a deal not to try. Hopefully it will work out as it was less than a cable set-up. Another question I have is when is a part no longer worth saving? I had enough front fender pieces to make one decent on for the bike. I’m asking the question because I have several fenders that are either seriously pitted or damaged. Is the pitted one worth saving if somewhere down the road you need one? D90E0364-396C-485B-8C2C-AF77BC4809A0.jpegDAD06BA3-3F89-44EA-A39F-0A302CFD44E3.jpeg99F0D1DF-2BCD-4365-A8F8-AA40828BF142.jpeg

That raises the question "How much does it cost to recharge fender?" I did text my chrome shop that question and I will pass along the answer if/when I get one.

Last edited:
If I had a large enough oven I would chrome powdercoat it. I suppose that’s an option.

I was also thinking they might be good candidates for powder coating. I’ve seen some nice 650’s with black fenders too! They could even be sanded , primed and spray painted on the cheap too! 😉

I was also thinking they might be good candidates for powder coating. I’ve seen some nice 650’s with black fenders too! They could even be sanded , primed and spray painted on the cheap too! 😉

Yea I’ve given a lot of thought toward building a blacked out bike but for some reason I just can’t pull the trigger. The CB was the closest I ever got but that was mainly engine blackout.

My chrome guy texted me just now. My sportster mufflers would be ~$525 each to rechrome. The XS650 fender would be ~$500 each. Ouch! Incidently, dechroming fenders was $80 each. I was already there, 1 hour drive, so I said do it. Pricey, yes but it saves a ton of prep.

Attachments

• 16644731466334928502705070176053.jpg
    16644731466334928502705070176053.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
It’s not the controls I’m using but I guess that’s how you fix a bad kill switch. This bike was in serious need of some love because everything I’ve found points to abuse lol. I guess it’s no different than how people treat things in general. We all know somebody that abuses tools, cars, or just things in general. My neighbor asked me why I wipe down my tools every day when I’m done using them. This is the same guy that trips over everything in his garage because it’s in the floor, laying around or dirty. That’s my rant for the day……

Yes, those brackets you got are for a later model .....

650C-D-E-F Pipe Hanger.jpg

But the peg is the same and will swap.

Back