Adopting another problem child

Ordered, old clip is shot and needs an upgrade along with the gear so I’m not even gonna *$#% with it. On a different note, while mounting my side stand I noticed the tab is broken off so not sure if I want to lay the bike down or trust my shaky welding lying on my back. Pretty easy decision there I’ll say I just missed it when I was working on the frame. image.jpg. I also noticed the side stand on the TX doner is a close replacement for the one on my XS2.image.jpg

One of the things that was also going to have to be addressed is the air filters. I don’t know what the original material was but it was nasty and mouse chewed.CFD0DBD2-F207-49F2-85CE-11F54C1E0F26.jpeg68B63511-9B87-429D-8609-2875872B7502.jpeg I read a post by Mailman about replacing the foam and salvaging the frame so I looked into foam material and found a filter at Lowes for $4 that was big enough to cover my frames 4-5 times. It was also 3/16 thick so I put two layers on and still had over half a sheet.266E6857-1554-454A-A9FC-6B286897D6DF.jpegFF2F4E14-60A2-4908-A5E4-243CF0363A5D.jpeg5A76884A-DF8C-4F55-8E89-6D0858CD89CD.jpeg I wanted to use a brush and get a little more of the old filter material off but the frames were a little “delicate”

Last edited:
I'd give it a try if the gear is still good

One of the things that was also going to have to be addressed as the air filters. I don’t know what the original material was but it was nasty and mouse chewed.View attachment 227512View attachment 227513 I read a post by Mailman about replacing the foam and salvaging the frame so I looked into foam material and found a filter at Lowes for $4 that was big enough to cover my frames 4-5 times. It was also 3/16 thick so I put two layers on and still had over half a sheet.View attachment 227514View attachment 227515View attachment 227516 I wanted to use a brush and get a little more of the old filter material off but the frames were a little “delicate”
Will the foam hold up to whatever you put on it to help with filtration as in can it handle a little oil mixture

Will the foam hold up to whatever you put on it to help with filtration as in can it handle a little oil mixture
I did a little checking and all the filter foams seem to be made from a polyethylene. I had that concern but from everything I’ve been able to find there should be no problem with chemical compatibility. It’s the same material that pod filters are made from.

I’d spend a little time cleaning that old filter powder out as good as you can. Anything you don’t get cleaned out could get sucked right into your freshly cleaned carbs. I know what you mean about them being delicate. I had to rework mine and that old filter just disintegrated when you touch it. A little extra time now could save you heaps of time down the road.

I blew them out with a lower pressure than normal and I want to vacuum them out as well. I haven't oiled them yet so I’ll vacuum them before I do. I think a mix of motor oil and MMO should make a nice formula. Had to clean cobwebs out as well lol.

It’s tough waiting on parts lol. I have a few small things to do and I figure every little bit helps. I may end up putting some rubber hose on there per 5T’s suggestion but I need to see how it hits the muffler.image.jpg
Also, when I weld the new spring tab on do I need to worry since this is a points bike?

Also, when I weld the new spring tab on do I need to worry since this is a points bike?
If we're talking about the tab on the stand itself, I'd just remove it to do the grinding/welding (painting?).

I suppose I could grind it, drill it and tap it and insert a threaded stud. I’m not happy I overlooked this small detail…

I'd think welding would be easier. Getting a good ground close to the repair may be an issue. I'm a chicken and would be pulling stator, rectifier, regulator, plug caps...:shrug:

That’s my point to the question. I never had an issue on a points machine but reading the threads has me nervous. Would unplugging everything suffice?

Don't see why not. If the current has a good path back to ground and stuff isn't in the path....ok. The recent "big" problem was also using flux core MIG that was DCEN (ground positive) and a bunch of transistors.:yikes:

Others?

There's been numerous reports of TCI boxes getting fried from welding. TCI boxes are "electronic" boxes. Your '75 has no "electronic" components, only "electrical" stuff. there's no need to disconnect anything.

I installed two of the Mikes spring clips and replacement gears and had good luck with both of them. 😉
I’m not concerned about the quality as they seem to carry the exact ones everyone else does. The problem was they were the only ones with them in stock at a significant higher cost. Did you have to squeeze the new clip as stated in the post about replacing them?

I’m not concerned about the quality as they seem to carry the exact ones everyone else does. The problem was they were the only ones with them in stock at a significant higher cost. Did you have to squeeze the new clip as stated in the post about replacing them?

I did squeeze them tighter. I bought an inexpensive fishing scale to test slip resistance. I did a write up on it here somewhere.

Mikes pink peanut package came today…..6474415E-3737-475C-AF1D-9E1E20BADD21.jpeg
I will say that although Mike’s can sometimes get a bad rap they have always had what I needed and got it to me quickly. This should be the last item that keeps me from buttoning up everything and trying a start. I looked in the labeled parts tray and there were three bags labeled for the pegs, exhaust and air boxes. Took each piece to the wire wheel and cleaned them up nicely. I just have to remember to take care of that side stand tab before I put the exhaust on.

Back