Anyone else here have an XR600R or XR650L?

osteoderm

out of the box
Reaction score
I just fell into my next project bike: a 2000 XR650L chassis loaded with a '99 XR600R powertrain.

I'm sure I'll be starting a proper build thread for it somewhere online, but in the meantime I just thought I'd ask if anyone in this community has either of these bikes... This forum has been such a great and helpful resource, so I'd thought I'd try starting my education right here!

Here! Why did your engine get switched?

Previous owner grenaded the original XR650L gearbox. The XR600R swap was cheaper/easier for him than the repair, or so the story goes.

For me, the resulting bike is either a lighter kick-only 650L, or a street-titled and registered 600R, depending on how you look at it... I'm going for the latter.

I now have the whole works in my shop: running transplant, plus the disassembled 650L engine and more misc. spares than I can easily catalogue.

Not looking to go quite as crazy with this build as I did with my XS, but it will be.... something else.

Great engines - like anything keep clean oil in'er. Keep the valves in spec, as the tappet/sub-tappet arrangement can start to chew out. If you're going to flog it hard a big finned head & cooler are a must IMO.

Thanks for the advice! I had actually already found that link, and have been looking around for an oil cooler. Come to think of it, one of those XR400 coolers might fit well on my XS too... Hmmm...

No trail thrashing plans here; the plan is to build an 80/20 street/trail bike, a retro-flavoured standard with a little more practical utility than my cafe'd XS.

Had both the XR and XRL. Good solid bikes. If you really want a platform for performance, get yourself an XR650R. Best single I've ever owned bar none. My first one was stolen from me, and I thought I'd go the KTM route, didn't like them as much as the Honda. Got a second one and rode it until it got to hard to hold on.:laugh: Wish I still had it.

Back