backfire foot

Fings369

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone else suffer from right foot problems? Actually went to the doc today cause my puppy is really bugging me. When I ride I've been recently resting my foot on my highway bars.

Apart from me taking on gravity and a set of stairs at one time, resulting in my toes meeting a stair rail made of a 6 x 6...... I've only ever abused it with my old ironheads, which are gone now, but I still kick the kz over which never backfires, but my xs def does and she kicks like Beckham. My doc says I'm nuckin fits lol.

Hey, Fings. A few thoughts about kickstarting come to mind.

Some of the guyz have retrofitted Harley type broad/flat kickstart petals.

Some of the better shoes and boots have a reinforcing steel strap imbedded in the arch area of the sole. Take a metal detector with you to the shoe/boot store.

The orientals discovered that the body sends toxic heavy metals to the soles of the feet, leading to foot problems, and have come up with a concoction/salve/footpad that 'draws' these toxins out.

Kickstart technique. With a hardtail, when you can't stand on the pegs to get proper starting height, can require a bit of a jump up before coming down on the kickstart. Difficult to explain, but best kickstart power comes from minimal knee-bending, straightening knee at highest resistance, and delivering final grunt thru the hip.

Nikken makes magnetic insoles that help the feet (well, they help mine).

Try that foot testing insole selection machine at Wallyworld. I use those, too.

Last time I used an electric start was in 1978. Probably forgotten how to use one by now...

Yeah I make a point of putting on heavy hikers or my work boots before any serious kick starting an unknown bike. I've been a cheap ass my whole life but in the last few years have started spending serious money on quality shoes. It makes a real difference in daily comfort for me.
Fact: Your 650 should not be kicking back. I have had a couple do it to me but a full round of maintenance always cures it. Sticky advance rod or weak advance springs quickly comes to mind as a cause of kick back. I mainly use the leg start when there is an appreciative audience. A stock bike with TCI or Pamco will often go with a left foot on the ground, half hearted stab.

I agree, if its kicking back, somethings not right. Although with points, it did get me a few times. I start mine on the ground, bent knee, dont even jump. Swift kick, and starts very easy.

I must have it timed to advanced then, because this past Sunday It would barely run, problem is my timing light is probably junk when I check on wire its seems timed but the other wire is way off?

"when I check one wire its seems timed but the other wire is way off?"
That could be it, read up on adjusting points, both cylinders need to be set to the marks. points tend to wear out especially if the wick wasn't kept oiled but pivot shafts, contact pitting, bad condensers etc all take their toll. MY two cents is a pamco is a cheap investment compared to orthopedic surgeons..........

Then its impossible for timing to be different. But, the mechanical advancer will make the marks pretty jittery i found. That and dual tower coils have a positive and negative voltage on the plug leads. Timing light always works better on negative voltage i believe....cant say for sure which one though. Highly suggest e advancer if you dont have one already.

It replaces the mechanical advance with an electronic advance. I have installed 2 so far with one more on the shelf and are highly recommended (by me anyways). Open both cam covers, check your advance mechanism, the weights should be retracted the springs should be slightly taut, if you turn (advance) the pamco plate it should freely "snap back" to the retarded position.
It's easy to remove the 10mm nut on the RH end of the advance rod remove the locating pin and push the rod out to the left. Clean it, buff it smooth and lightly coat with very light grease or motor oil.

Hmmmm, so this is used with the pamco I already have I'm assuming. Sounds nifty, might get it once I get this thing timed right..... in a week..... after my foot feels better or well after some rum surging through it lol...

I do still have the starter hanging on there could easily just tap that with a battery to get her running, No? and I guess it's possible I marked TDC wrong? I'll have to look at it

If you go to petes site, it will tell you what you need to look for to see if you are compatible. But, if its fairly new, then you should be fine.

This is what I need to look for then, at least for a first go round to make sure I have a newer system, then go down to the corner and get some bills from my girls dust off the glitter and send to pete right? :laugh::laugh:

Attachments

• 6090.jpg
    6090.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 70
Back