Barn find 4k original miles with a backfire and ticking

Rogue

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Stoked to has just acquired a BEAUTIFUL 74 Xs650B complete with 4k ORIGINAL miles for a mere $500. Grabbed it and ran without even a second thought, it had been sitting for at least 25+ years. Unfortunately cracked the windshield while transporting (although i was going to take it off anyway) but that is not my problem.

I got it home and did the obvious, first searched through about a thousand keys at the motorcycle junkyard to find a key for it, carbs off, cleaned the molasses (almost glass) out of them, rebuilt to stock with new jets and floats as the others were just too far gone and i needed to drill out the pilot jets. About a week of shaking and 7 gallons of vinegar later the tank nearly spotless with minimal rust. Rebuilt petcocks, new battery, fuel filters new hoses and plugs. Also picked up some UNI pods because they are just easier to move around.

This brings us to today, put a bit of oil in the cylinders to help things get along for the first test, couple of kicks and it started right up, SOLID. However there is a ticking coming from the left cylinder, it also backfires, but only on the left. The ticking isnt horrible but definitely noticeable. The exhaust on the left also took much longer to heat up compared to the right. The engine in general seems to be hotter on the right. So i took the plug out on the left and it was black covered in carbon which i believe not to to be a foul but just buildup, checked to make sure the valves and piston were all moving correctly and they are. it is also getting good spark to both.

So what do you guys suggest i do from here? Could it just be that there is a lot of buildup in the left cylinder and that somehow is making it tick? with such low miles could it need a valve adjustment (may be a stupid question considering its age, not sure)? And do you think the backfire and the ticking have any correlation?

Excited to be a part of the community. looking forward to restoring this treasure!

Thanks
-Rogue

Also Seems to not be pulling as much fuel through the filter on the left side, thought id add.

Total tune-up with valve adjustments and points gapped and timed. Fluid (oil and brake fluid)change. New tire and tubes. New brake shoes/pads. Oil screens cleaned.

BTW Good find! Change the fuel hoses. Clean the carbs again. Run Seafoam in the gas a few tankfulls. 1oz per gal. PICS,PICS,PICS!!....please,please

Probably backfired from sticky valve. What all did you do before you started it? Just carbs?

@angus67 just what I had said in the first post. I was thinking a sticky valve as well I've tinkered but nothing all to serious as I'm still learning though. The exhaust valve looks pretty cruddy from the plug hole. And like I said, the new plug came out covered in carbon pieces. This first start up was in no way in my intentions to drive it but just to see how things were.

@azman857 will do with the seafoam. And photos to come for sure, so sad that I cracked the windshield because it really added a nick look with the sissy bar seat haha. But live and learn I guess. I'll get some photos tomorrow.

The thing is it doesn't have a title, the guy who had it passed away and it had just been left in his shed. Can't track down any family but I did run the vin with the DMV just to make sure it wasn't somehow registered stolen, and it's not the story I was told checks out. Last registered in 84 I believe. I'm going to try to register it through Vermont and get a title that rout. Any of you guys out there ever try that?

4f085995d632b9dfa96b0118e482fcd9.jpg
. Alright alright this is what I've got still on the truck I'll get some glamor shots tomorrow.

From the paint job, I believe you have a '75 model there. The build date stamped on the steering neck may be late in '74 but bikes are like cars. The current year begins production in the fall of the previous year.

You may have a bad condenser. That could cause the symptoms you're having on that left cylinder. Remove the little chrome cover on the left side covering the points. Observe them in operation as the bike sits there idling. The top set is for the right cylinder, the bottom set for the left. Is that bottom set sparking and arching a whole bunch? More than the top set? That indicates it's condenser has gone bad.

No the points are good, but the plug wires seem incredibly loose. More so then I've ever seen. Could that be doing it?

I'm not sure what you mean by loose? If you mean easy to move around, that's pretty normal. If you mean loose connections at the plug cap or coil, that's not normal and could cause misfiring. You might want to re-make the connections at both ends of the plug wires to make sure they're good. Clip about 1/4" to 1/2" of wire off each end so you get to some fresh wire. To insure a good connection, I like to strip about 1/8" of the insulation off and fan the wire strands out like so before making the connection .....

PlugWireEnd.jpg

If the plug wires and caps are the originals, you should change them. The caps can and do go bad. Their resistance rises and eventually that starts choking off the spark. Most of us install NGK 5K ohm caps. I prefer the "F" type. I think they snap on the plug more securely .....

NGKLB05.jpg

While you're clipping the wires and have the caps off, measure the resistance through them. The stock rating was a rather oddball 9K ohms or something. If you find higher, like 12K or 15K, that cap is going bad.

GggGary that's what I was thinking. I won't have time to tinker until tomorrow but If that is the case, am I looking at a top end tear down or would you think that is something that would knock lose?

Ggggary [emoji1419][emoji1419][emoji1419][emoji1431] hell yeah thank you

Back