Basic bobber build

Nitro rider

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Well I am planning on building a xs650 chopper to ride. However knowing my self I know I will get impatent and rush the job because I want to go for a ride. So I have purchased this ratty 650 to build up as a bobber just to give me so thing to ride while I am building what I hope will be a really nice chopper. First photo's show the original purchase, then the stripped frame after powder coating. I am trying to keep this a really low buck project so what would not polish up we have painted black. Tank is a HD bobber tank that has a bit of tunnel work underneath. It will stay bare metal with grinder marks and of course clear coat. Seat will stay original as for rego as it is much it simpler but then I intend to change to 2 solo seats, again for different look with little cost. Rear wheel is 16" and front wheel is 19" with 4"over legs. Forward controls are TCBros that I am likely to narrow a couple of inches after doing a couple of rides. Have also have included a couple of photo's of the chopper, the frame metal factory chassis with a springer and a Col Foster tank.

20161102_150339.jpg

When we got it home ready to dismantle

20170323_140930.jpg

Bare metal tank finish

20170122_173754.jpg
Work bench

Yeh so am I but I love the look. These are Shinko tyres. My Harley had white walls and they did degenerate over time but possibly not enough care.
Hopefully getting the handle on photo's here so I will try some more

Frame back from the power coaters
20161211_133451.jpg 20161211_141628.jpg 20161211_141645.jpg
Chrome was past it so under coat then black to hide all sins. Cases used a Dremel nylon brush to clean up then
case paint.
20161216_174510.jpg 20161227_140001.jpg
Bought a buff wheel to help make things bright and shinny. Believe it or not this cover came up like new after wet rubbing and buffing.
20170323_142322.jpg
I like the grind marks in the metal. Originaly I had it very smooth but it just looked like a bad paint job, so now no mistaking it for what it is.

20170309_111019.jpg
Rather than polish or chrome I cooper plated, but I might hold these back for the chopper as it gets away from the low buck principle that I am trying to stick with on this build.

Wiring has been a challenge but finally all working. Brake master cyclinder and caliper both seized but I have finnaly dismantled them so now to find the right kits to rebuild. So brakes and carbys to go and then should be on the road. The sooner the better as I will then start on the chopper build. I have most parts required for it and it is mainly and assemble , wire and paint. I intend to try and paint the tank and guard myself using the clip wrap method. At the end of the day if it doesn't work, i will rub it off and get it proffessionaly done.
20170324_102147.jpg

IMG_2635.JPG
Lookin' good mate! I'm the same and end up rushing things especially when a project is getting near the end. Here's my XS650 custom - only sat the engine in this morning to see how things line up. Good luck! Slug.

Good stuff Slug. It is good to see some one else out here building an xs. I see so many "cookie cutter" Harley choppers I at time doubt that anyone has originality. I hope to get up to the rod and bike show your way on the 30th of April ? For the Boogaloo at Castlemain. Only British or American bikes, but some very cool rides.

Back