Best place to get braided stainless brake lines?

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Need one 41 inches from banjo to banjo.

Also, are the banjos pretty much a standard size? If not, how are they measured? Hole size?

I've had good luck getting them made at the local "Greenline" store. They specialize in industrial hydraulic hoses and hose in general. Perhaps they are in your area? Take the old one in for comparison. They should be able to supply any type of banjo fitting, angles, straight, etc.

We have Bert and Erine nearby ( Brake and Equipment )... large warehouse with machine shop. They'll make one while you wait... rubber also... clutch also.. brake shoes relined ... I have lines made to avoid that junction block on the lower triple tree.... 😎

I do like DogBunny and make my own for the same reasons. I haven't tried the AliExpress stuff but may in the future. I have been getting my parts from ANPlumbing.com (used to be Earl's)

I get the cheap ones off eBay (less than $10) and so far have been very happy with them. For banjo size, measure the diameter of your banjo bolt. Most are 10mm and is what you'll find on most of those cheap lines. For angled ends, you really only need an angle (just a small one) on the caliper end, but angles on both ends will work. There is a small "gotcha" with most of the cheap lines if you're trying to fit them to a MC that attaches the line to the end as opposed to the front. Most of the cheap lines come with the banjos mounted in line or parallel to one another. This works great for a MC that mounts the line on the front but will put a pretty bad twist in the line if trying to mount it on the end. But there are a ton of listings on eBay so you may be able to find some with the ends mounted offset to one another. Honestly, I don't know why they don't make them all with the ends offset, at least a little (like 45°). That way I think they'd fit either type of MC mount (front or end) without putting too much of a twist in the line.

Well, it seems you're in luck. Looking at pics on-line of the '83 CX650 Custom, it appears the brake line mounts to the front of the MC, so one of these cheap lines should work OK. They usually come in 10cm length increments, and 100cm (39.4") and 110cm (43.3") lengths are pretty common. A 105cm length (41.3") would be ideal for you but I'm not seeing them .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2928802641...%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:4429486&var=591648462098

I use the chrome 10mm banjo fittings and a coated stainless line w/#3 swivel ends. You can rout the line wherever you want with no binding the line.
s-l140 (1).jpgs-l140.jpg

Poifeck! Just need to run down to the shop in the morning and verify the banjo size and I'll get one on order. Thanks!

I have had good luck with Spiegler USA lines. They can make anything you want.

For bikes that dont need road certification I buy stainless braided line and fittings of Ali Express. In comes in AN sizes its been a while and I cant remember exactly the size. If you get the stuff with the outer plastic sleeve you need to trim the sleeve back to get the olive nut over the line.

I ordered one of the cheap ones @5twins linked to on Ebay. I figure for $11 it's a reasonable gamble. 99% sure it will work, the only question is quality. If I'm not satisfied, I can always get a better one.

Snaining (Snow/Rain) at the moment, it's not like I'll be riding it any time soon...

Back