Big TX500 project, any help appreciated!

Manifold installed. Bike seems to run fine. Purchased Baja no pinch tool for installing tires. Works great!! New rear tire!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5555.jpeg
    IMG_5555.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5553.jpeg
    IMG_5553.jpeg
    487.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5551.jpeg
    IMG_5551.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5550.jpeg
    IMG_5550.jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 41
Update!! New tires are on. Took her out for her maiden voyage( 1st in who knows how long). What an incredible feeling to bring a bike back from the dead. Will probably take her out again tomorrow and then begin a total teardown to properly restore.
This bike is very fast and rides really smooth!!
 
Update!! New tires are on. Took her out for her maiden voyage( 1st in who knows how long). What an incredible feeling to bring a bike back from the dead. Will probably take her out again tomorrow and then begin a total teardown to properly restore.
This bike is very fast and rides really smooth!!

If nothing is off and rattling and smoking putting on some miles can help identifying where more attention is needed
The long screwdriver to the ear and the engine listening can help. Fact finding period Looking at smoke --Oil consumption finding leaks
A rattling cam bearing or conrod or .. or . Once in parts at the work bench excessive play is a bit more difficult to find.
And needs measuring and experience
A bit driving now and taking notes .Especially it the work is done later in time Can be a plan.
 
Frame is painted. Cleaning up engine some more then engine back into frame :)
All the bits on my workbench lol.
I did get lucky… someone already invested in the oil filter mod/ adapter( original oil filter setup only took oem odd size filters that are not made anymore) so now I can easily replace filter with common one :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5614.jpeg
    IMG_5614.jpeg
    558.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_5615.jpeg
    IMG_5615.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5616.jpeg
    IMG_5616.jpeg
    483.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Amazing what one can accomplish on their days off from work. I’m off for two weeks and took advantage of it on the first day.
As mentioned above, after stripping the frame , I decided to go with a high temp, oil and gas resistant enamel , which I’ve had success with in the past. No powder coating here, just good old diy and it’s just as good!
I’m comfortable with the engine clean up and polishing, not perfect but much better.
Next step will probably be rebuilding the forks.
Having fun with this one :)
 
Santa has left , so back to work :)
Tackling the forks…. Less pieces than goldwings :)
Also rebuilding front brake caliper and master cylinder.
Parts on the way, Santa passed on bringing me those!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5654.jpeg
    IMG_5654.jpeg
    463.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5653.jpeg
    IMG_5653.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5652.jpeg
    IMG_5652.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 41
Lots of parts arriving tomorrow… so in the meantime, cleaning up a few pieces till then.
Bearings were shot , new bearings on the way :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5661.jpeg
    IMG_5661.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5689.jpeg
    IMG_5689.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 43
If you got the AllBalls kit that includes grease seals for both bearings, do install the bottom one. along with the original Yamaha rubber ring seal, but no need to install the top one. It really doesn't do anything. Gravity will naturally pull the grease down so no need for a seal on the very top.
 
If you got the AllBalls kit that includes grease seals for both bearings, do install the bottom one. along with the original Yamaha rubber ring seal, but no need to install the top one. It really doesn't do anything. Gravity will naturally pull the grease down so no need for a seal on the very top.
That’s good to know. Thanks for the heads up
 
Back
Top