bike bounces at 60+ mph

yamchop

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i have a 75 stock bike, it drives real nice until about 60 then starts to bounce. i tried to push thru it and got it up to 65. the bike was bouncing to bad and slowed down. its not a shake or vibration . any ideas what to check?:wtf:

When you say bounce, are the wheels skipping off the road? Fast bounce, slow bounce? I'd rebalance the tires, rebuild the forks and change the shocks. Or at least one at a time in that order. Sounds like a harmonics doing their thing. Need to break them up. Steering head bearings and swingarm bushings need checking too. Tight and or dry chain?

One or both wheels are out of balance. Don't make it harder than it is. :) Although it likely could use all those other things.

John

its a rear end bounce. pretty fast. thanks guys. i got another set of shocks here so i'll try that first, then on down the list.

Check the tyre is correctly fitted on the rim, I had this problem once to find the bloke that fitted the front tyre had not seated it correctly in the rim causing the the tyre to go egg shaped, took me a while to work out why she was bouncing up and down on a smooth blacktop.
To fix I poured water over the rim at the bead and pumped in 100+ psi and it popped into place
No more bounce

Check the rear tire to make sure it's really round and doesn't have broken cords as a bad tire could kill you.

But I'm guessing the problem is balance or not being seated. In which case the shocks won't help.

One of my XSs rides like it has square wheels but the other is silky smooth to 100 plus so I simply haven't been riding the bumpy one. Besides, the bumpy one is ugly and beat up.

Rude may be onto something...I've seen guys come here with similar problems all the time. Just had a CB500T in here last week with exactly the same issue (tire bead not set).
Tire not set properly on the bead ? Tube caught between the tire bead and rim? Seems to happen a lot when people try to fit tubeless tires to tube rims, they are a lot stiffer and don't seem to pop up on the bead as easily. Most tires have a concentric line cast into the tire sidewall...see if this is even all the way around the rim (a dead give away). Could be a balance issue too.

Back