Bratstyle design question

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
So I'm pushing my wife to finally make the final design decision for her Bratstyle xs. Anybody got pics of a low bratstyle bike with a sprung solo seat?

still need to decide sprung solo seat vs welding in new seat rails.

Still need to decide on fixed fender or one that swings with frame.

Also anybody have some suggestions for cheap pair of seat shocks for someone who weighs about 140lbs all geared up? Most of the shocks I see are setup for a 300lb rider.

DSCN2241.jpg

Not a bratstyle but shows that sprung seat and sprung rear end can live in harmony.

enfield.jpg

Course it's all subjective:D If you want it do it.

after looking at that royal engfeld I'm not sure both will work without lengthening the siwngarm since were trying to get the seat very low 24" or less for her.

Here in NY state the seat has to 25 inches high. I doubt you would have a problem unless it was very low or you pissed the cop off.

If you're going to go brat-style and drop-seat, I would really consider just adding some padding to your seat. I have yet to see a scoot with rear supsension and a sprung saddle that looks good, but there are a ton of ways to make a padded seat look good.

- well that dan gurney aligator thing left me looking for aspiration...i cant look at it without having the breath driven from me...each to their own

It's strange looking, init? You know what I found surprising was the reactions highly experienced riders had to it, as mentioned at the Alligator website. Seems they were amazed at its handling characteristics. Extremely low center of gravity, that's for sure. Must make for it being a very stable ride. The very low center of gravity that my hardtail Sporty has makes for it being very stable at freeway speeds. I'd suspect similar reports from folks who've hardtailed their XSes and wound up with low seat heights.

One of Yamaha_Chop's recent builds also has a very low seat hight, which he accomplished using a pneumatic raising/lowering system, if I'm not mistaken. Scroll about 2/3 the way down to see a couple of pics of it:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1780

Last edited:
That alligator thing is almost as ugly as that guy that cuts up Sportster's and makes scooters out of them.
Cuts the bike off in front of the engine and puts the front half of a scooter on it.

Just some pics for ideas

Attachments

• normal_xs650-2-06.jpg
    normal_xs650-2-06.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 174
  • yamabobrearzo2.jpg
    yamabobrearzo2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 173
  • LeviBundy1.jpg
    LeviBundy1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 189
  • DanBrizendine1.jpg
    DanBrizendine1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 194
  • SeanGillespie1.jpg
    SeanGillespie1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 157
  • xs650 bobber 3.jpg
    xs650 bobber 3.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 221
That second one from the right looks like it has a pretty low seat height. Keeps the rear suspension too. Raked front end and what I'm guessing is an extended swingarm.

Back