clutch plates.....?????

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys i,ve got an 82-83 motor in my 1976 frame ,,converted back to points years ago before i buy it ... i just puchased a second hand clutch hub off ebay in usa,,and it was a 80 mod.. with 6 steel plates ,, all the springs and shoulder bolts... no tab washer or large nut .. but i,ll buy 1 off each from mikes this week... a guy in baxter that noted for modding xs650 motors etc.. said that before putting the steel plates back in lightly scuff them on the concrete floor helps them grip better ...... i,ll be measuring the steel plates today to see if they are thicker than mine.. and which ever are better i,ll use ... any thoughts please ...regards oldbiker

I wouldn't bother with scuffing them. They work fine as is unless you have some monster 750 or something.. I usually have more problems with the plates sticking than anything. Actually maybe some scuffs would help them not stick together so much! haha. I wouldn't use a concrete floor to do the scuffing though.

I've swapped the earlier and later clutches around without any problems. Should be an easy swap. I always put the beveled edge facing out when putting the steel plates in... That seems to make sense in my head to do it that way.

Concrete floor is the best place to do this. Just go in a figure 8 pattern. Been doing this for many years, even to new plates. It removes the high spots from stamping, deglazes, and helps them seat to the fibers better.

The steel plates are stamped out. This leaves a burr all out side and around the teeth on the inside. I like to use a 120 or so sandpaper to remove the burrs. Removing this burr helps the plates slide on the hub.

I agree that you could de-burr the sharp edge.. but is it necessary to scuff the mating surfaces? Seems unnecessary, but sounds like it won't hurt anything.

Back