Clutch pushrod seal for newbies?

Dumbmonkey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi y'all,
I was just looking for an opinion. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the clutch pushrod seal on my 81 xs650. As a total newbie to riding and working on bikes, how far in over my head could I be? What should I also be considering along with the seal and the bushing? I'd really like to solve this oil leak issue.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

The only right way is to split the cases. It can be done from the outside, but it is a bitch to get right. Order several seals, as you will eat up a few.

Agreed. I don't mean to seem negative. I've done it both ways. The problem is the seal is manufactured with a slight ridge in the middle of the outside sealing area. It is this way, as an added seal to fit in the groove of the seal cavity in the case. This is peeled off once you start pressing in the seal, tearing up the rest of the sealing rubber on the outside of the seal, and creates another point to leak. I use lock tite aluminum flange sealer around the out side to help this area seal better. Even then, I'm usually doing it twice, maybe three times getting a good seal.

There's a lot of threads here on that procedure. If you scroll down to the 'similar threads' box here, you'll find other threads covering this, and they'll have 'similar threads' too. Worm your way down thru all these, you'll get a better idea, and more tips/tricks. Also, look-up the bushing replacement procedure on MikesXS's website.

As mentioned get a few extras when you do it. I changed mine without tearin it apart about 4k miles ago with no issues. I just chamfered the hole and put the seal in (ruined one seal in the process).

well I am a bit mystified as to why mikesxs recommends drilling the clutch pushrod bush out ?

If the original bush is anything like mine it has a split in it .

All I did with mine was to gently hammer a very small steel spike or screwdriver blade between the shaft and the bush at the split, which levered one edge of the bush into the middle . Its just a case of grabbing it with a pair of thin nose pliers and pulling it out.:thumbsup:

i did a video of it.

heres an excellent video from nightflyer replacing the clutch pushrod oil seal

If I can do it anyone can. I followed the steps on Mikes and also on here and it came out great. My bushing was toast. I was lucky and didn't tear the seal on my first try. Good luck.

I found it fairly simple. Replaced the bushing, installed long pushrod. Took 2 seals to get it right. I used a Noga tool to chamfer the edges, then drove the seal in. I think the key to getting the seal in is having it dead square and proceeding SLOWLY. I also used red rubber grease to lube it. Truly amazed and how much play i had in my old seal and 2 part push rod set up.

Just an update for anyone concerned. I finally got around to replacing the pushrod seal about a month ago. I followed the advice and instructions I found here on the forum, and I have to say, it made what I originally though was a big deal into not such a big deal at all. Sadly I didn't convert to the one piece push rod as the magnet I had wouldn't grab onto the inner pushrod. :(
I had the bike running around yesterday, and I'm happy to say that it seems that I did it right because that pesky oil leak is gone!

excellent ! well done.
Good to have some positive feedback to resolve a thread and hear another success story :thumbsup:.

Back