Clutch won't engage 1980

xjeffx

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The facts for my 1980 xs650:
-Have 6 friction plates and 5 clutch plates.
-Put oil in and kick started fine
-Pulled clutch in with lever, put in first gear and released the clutch all the way slowly and all it did was slightly jolt forward. I could feel the bike wanting to move forward. It would not stall when the clutch lever was out and it was in first gear not moving.
-Turned the engine off and pulled the worm gear all the way out.
-Tried to kick start the bike again (in nuetral) but the clutch will not engage.

Any ideas???

Thanks, Jeff

I thought I had pics. Any way when you put the pressure plate on, did you line up the hole with the dot on the hub?
Is the clutch adjusted right? at the worm gear and lever?

The hole on the hub is lined up right
clutch is adjusted right, at the worm gear and lever.

I used SAE 30 oil.... does that matter?

If you removed the worm gear fully then you have full spring pressure engaging the plates..............it should not be slipping. I guess you had the clutch apart..........are you sure you re-installed the correct number and size of washers............look at the drawing under "Tech" and "Clutch".

You should not use automotive "energy saving" oil, as its too slippery and may contribute to slipping. Use a "motorcycle" oil or diesel oil..........15W40 or 20W50.

Straight 30w or a ??w30? It could be the oil. Most like a 15w40 deisel oil for cooler weather and a 20w50 for warmer weather. Most of the ??w30 oils are engergy conserving oils. They have additive to make them super slick so cars can get better mileage. These additives are to slick for the XS clutch.
On most motorcycle specific oils they have a JASO-MA rating. This means they work with wet clutches. Some of the 15w40 deisel oils have this rating some don't.
Read the jug the oil came in. It should list the ratings on it.
The oil I like says API Service SG, SL/CF/CG-4 JASO MA/MA2 ISO-L-EMA2
This is the Amsoil I put in the Harley. The Valvoline I put in the XS rates API SF/SG/SJ/ JASO MA
Both are 20w50 oils.
Valvoline makes a 10w40 motorcycle oil that should be ok for cooler weather. The Valvoline site is down, so I can't find it's ratings. I think it should be the same as the 20w50.

The sites back up now. The Valvoline 10w40 is rated SF/SG/SJ JASO MA the same as the 20w50. Both can be bought for $4-$5 at the parts store.

Even with 30W, that clutch should engage some. Oil might make it slip, but it should engage more than he says it is. Sounds like somethings not assembled right.

Back