Collecting info and pictures for your bike projects

David M

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you are embarking on a bike project, if you're like me, you do a lot of Googling and bookmarking of the resources that may come in handy to help as you progress. The problem is that there are often way too many. Also, some of them disappear after a while. Or you don't have an internet connection handy when you need some info.

A couple of years ago, I started to use Microsoft OneNote 2007. I found this program by accident but now use it extensively. It's a tough program to describe. Essentially, it's like a huge, multiple page, multiple tab note book. You just copy and paste text and pic's from just about any website, forum, or pretty much any source you can imagine.

When I started thinking about an XS650 street tracker project, I opened OneNote and setup a new page and within that page, a tab for each part of the project. I copied text and photo's for future reference so I don't have to go back to dozens of websites. For example, I want to install an electronic ignition. I copied discussions from two different forum threads and a set of instructions and pictures from a web site. It's all contained on a single page now. I can highlight, underline, bold, annotate, and pretty much whatever else I want whether or not I'm online. Since I'm using this for non-commercial use, there are no copyright issues.

Microsoft has a demo and at one time you could download a free, time limited copy.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/onenote/ I think you can buy it for well under $100.

I've never been able to understand why this program is so unknown to so many people. For collectors of information, it's a life saver. ( No, I don't work for MS ).

So, for all you info junkies, here's a great place to store and organize all that stuff.

i just use a 4 gig flash drive. then I can surf in the living room laptop, pc in the garage, and pc in bedroom, or anywere else that uses windows xp. like at father's.
if I have too many shortcuts on my desktop, compy slows down.

David,

I could probably benefit from using something like that. I just have a bunch of folders all over and notes in word documents in those folders. It gets a little crazy at times. Thanks for sharing.

I use Dropbox.com to store photos, files, etc. 2GB of free storage, and I can access it from any computer and my Android mobile phone.

Kent
I use fotki for uploading for forums. its under angus67. take a look if you like. 30 bucks for unlimited space,no adds. the free version has adds, but not alot. I just needed more room.

Hey David M

I have used Onenote at work loads but never thought of using at home:doh: It would be a great place for storing info. Its just like having a ring binder/folder with all your pages where you want them for easy reference.

I'll start one now!!:thumbsup:

Back