Crabby's Build

Not as much as you think? yes all the outies. Isn't spoking fun? LOL

Hah found it!
1705443544599.png

DSCN6798.JPG

Hi,

I'm still struggling with the rear wheel. I built a jig and slightly bent all the outside spokes but they are still creating too much tension on the rim and I can only get 5 out of the final 9 spokes into the rim.

So I'm thinking of going back and using all of the original spokes. I bead blasted a spoke today and it looks really nice, it actually matches the finish of the hub/rim perfectly.

My question is, since this is a metal spoke (I checked with a magnet) will it simply rust? Here's a photo of the original spokes, one refinished one original.
the original spokes are corroded but not really rusty?

January 26, 2024-2.jpg

Short answer is YES, it will Rust
The original spokes are plated, either zinc or chromate to prevent corrosion. They're most the most durable of coatings and so will deteriorate with age.
You have now blasted all that off and left bare steel so it will rust quickly.
Mikes XS sells spoke sets, sorry I haven't been following your build so perhaps you've already gone that route.

Short answer is YES, it will Rust
The original spokes are plated, either zinc or chromate to prevent corrosion. They're most the most durable of coatings and so will deteriorate with age.
You have now blasted all that off and left bare steel so it will rust quickly.
Mikes XS sells spoke sets, sorry I haven't been following your build so perhaps you've already gone that route.
Thanks for the reply. That's good to know. Yes the spokes I've been struggling with are the Mikes XS ones. When comparing the original outside spokes to the Mikes XS ones the difference in bend is visible. Thanks again!

Are you using a stock rim? If not there could be enough diameter difference in the spoke area that requires a bit more length.

Back