DCC steel mesh reinforced sump filter

Scottrt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Dime City cycles shows a conventional looking sump filter they claim is reinforced with steel mesh on the inside to prevent blowout. Seems like a great solution to the problem, has anybody tried them. What do you guys think, and where can a guy get some sump gaskets cheap.

If it's the common aftermarket replacement I'm thinking it is then yes, it does have perforated sheet metal behind the screening, but not everywhere. It doesn't have it where it's needed most, the most common blow-out point, that section that sticks out right next to the magnet. So, it still tears there and is really no better than an original.

I actually like the Athena sump filter gaskets MikesXS sells, but I also search eBay for deals too. If I can find them for $4 or $5, I save a little. It's hard to do much better than that. That's why I like the Athena ones, they hold up better for multiple uses. Originals are nice but tear very easily.

I use the cheapest sump gasket available, homemade from gasket paper, cut with an offbrand knockoff of an Exacto knife, with holes cut with a Harbor Freight punch. The Dime City sump strainer (I won't call it a filter) is the same thing Mike's XS sells (they've both been swallowed up in Z1 Enterprises' attempt to monopolize the old Japanese bike market). The reason that the brass screen gets broken is that the oil pump sucks a tear in it, and the perforated metal is on the wrong side of the screen to prevent that. Several solutions have been posted here. I'd rather teach fishing than hand out fish, so I'll just point out that the search function on this site works great.

Try Mike's XS, it's the same item with the same defect. But that isn't what I was advising you to search for. Try terms like "filter repair," "sump screen repair," and so on.

Oh I've read all the threads about the sucking of the mesh and the repairs with J-B weld. Dcc's description is a bit misleading, I got the impression that the reinforcing mesh was inside the filtering mesh, but a closer examination of the pictures reveals it is indeed on the outside where it really does no good. Too bad, it's a reinforcing mesh was on the inside of the filtering screen you'd have a winner I think.

I just went to their web site and the only filter I could find was the same one MikesXS sells. But maybe there's others. That site totally sucks and the search feature blows. Search for oil filters and you get over 6 pages of shit, most unrelated. Talk about sales pitching and ramming products down your throat, lol.

Back