Eeny meeny miny moe which to ride first!

Niels B

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t make up my mind

Attachments

• A8E5A465-166B-454E-BCAE-02627C12C323.jpeg
    A8E5A465-166B-454E-BCAE-02627C12C323.jpeg
    668.9 KB · Views: 71
  • A5663FF2-458E-4A6D-BB79-CE8EB0F53554.jpeg
    A5663FF2-458E-4A6D-BB79-CE8EB0F53554.jpeg
    615 KB · Views: 69
Trying to get this baby out in the line up - trying to figure out why my the left side turn signals and indicator light don’t work !
Chocolate wire has 12V when switch slid to left?

Trying to get this baby out in the line up - trying to figure out why my the left side turn signals and indicator light don’t work !
I recently suffered that. The ground wire on the right rear light had gone open circuit. I had to use an ohm meter to find it. I don't remember what drove me to check it.

Bad solder joint inside the switch housing is a common malady... and easily fixed.
Best to re-solder all 3 wires while you're in there.

Bad solder joint inside the switch housing is a common malady... and easily fixed.
Best to re-solder all 3 wires while you're in there.
Yea, I refurbished the switch - so you are probably pointing in the right direction as everything else seem to be working ok. That was next on the list to check after switching relay didn’t make a difference :)

Yes, both sides on the signal circuit is the same until it gets to the handlebar switch; Br/W is power from flasher into the switch that then switches onto Dark Gn (R) and Chocolate (L) out of switch. Of course they also need a ground at each light.

Yes, both sides on the signal circuit is the same until it gets to the handlebar switch; Br/W is power from flasher into the switch that then switches onto Dark Gn (R) and Chocolate (L) out of switch. Of course they also need a ground at each light.
Got all the wires connected correctly and all 4 turn signals have their own ground wire, so I think it’s the switch. Can’t figure out what the light checker box actually does as it somehow is in play too. Anyone know how they work or have a diagram of the inside components

Might be wrong, but I don't think the light checker has anything to do with the signals.

The light checker should not be involved in the signal circuit
d 75_76_XS650 B&C Wiring and Key Updated 3a.jpg

I might unplug the handlebar switch and Ohm continuity between Choc. -Br/W when switch to left position from the switch harness. Should be continuity when switched each direction from Br/W to Choc. and then Dk Gn and no continuity in off.

The light checker should not be involved in the signal circuit
View attachment 226318
My bad - however looking at an actual diagram from an XS650E assembly manual I have 3 pronge and contrary to the ‘75 there is a Br /BrW & a GY(green yellow), the green yellow goes from the flasher relay to a flasher circuit unit and I can’t figure out what it does and even if it’s needed or if that causes the problem.

Attachments

• 41BD61CF-EE98-4E89-A72C-779C521E9BD4.jpeg
    41BD61CF-EE98-4E89-A72C-779C521E9BD4.jpeg
    287.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 6681706D-03EB-46BF-93BA-3FB4E892DA39.jpeg
    6681706D-03EB-46BF-93BA-3FB4E892DA39.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 28
  • FD9A7532-1881-42CB-9D98-0B50B6F721B2.jpeg
    FD9A7532-1881-42CB-9D98-0B50B6F721B2.jpeg
    436.5 KB · Views: 31
Go with the 75 no bags this way you have the round mirrors (stock?)
Nice bikes
Almost everything is stock on the ‘75 without bags, except a new front brake caliber and master cylinder - they were to gone to safe and since it’s the lifesaver figured I could live with a reproduction unit :). The tanks has the original paint and it’s flawless , was in original box too- got with a load of other XS stuff

Hell of a find
I found the sissy bar luggage rack for my 75 by just being on Ebay at the right time haven't seen another on since
Oh and did I mention those a good looking 75's

My bad - however looking at an actual diagram from an XS650E assembly manual I have 3 pronge and contrary to the ‘75 there is a Br /BrW & a GY(green yellow), the green yellow goes from the flasher relay to a flasher circuit unit and I can’t figure out what it does and even if it’s needed or if that causes the problem.
I didn't think you had the signal cancelling unit; that's where the Gn/W to flasher go. On 75-76 the 3rd wire on the flasher is ground (Bk). IIRC the cancelling unit can be disconnected and run just Br and Br/W on the flasher. So is this harness a '78?

I didn't think you had the signal cancelling unit; that's where the Gn/W to flasher go. On 75-76 the 3rd wire on the flasher is ground (Bk). IIRC the cancelling unit can be disconnected and run just Br and Br/W on the flasher. So is this harness a '78?
Yes it’s a ‘78 harness - actually everything to my knowledge is ‘78 standard. I tried a two pronged relay - omitting the gn/y - same result - on flashes to the right - left still dead - so I may be down to the handlebar switch as the problem.
I can’t stand the wire mess on these bikes - all crammed into that tiny headlight housing !

There is no schematic on the cancelling unit itself (as I'm aware) - still the effect is equal to R&L signals - it has an input from speedo W/G, input from flasher G/Y, power from Br, ground and output to handlebar sw Y/R (that incidentally is grounded by switch in on R or L).

Back