Elephants foot valve adjuster comparison Porsche VW Mikes

270YAM

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know there is already a number of threads here about these adjusters, but I thought it mite be interesting to see a comparative photo of the 3 main ones that get talked about a lot.
This photo shows the MikesXS adjuster that comes with the aftermarket rocker arms, an aftermarket Volkswagen one from an eBay set of 8, and a genuine Wisemann OEM Porsche item.

The Mikes ones are made out of plastic and a number of people have had the foot fall off (possibly due to valve geometry issues) either way I don't like them.

The eBay pack of 8 VW ones are inexpensive but you get what you pay for. The finish is poor and they fell really rough almost like they have sand in them. It's like the ball ends on the stem have not been lapped in to the foot, and the end face of the foot looks like it has been ground off-hand on a bench grinder.
Also the stem has a square shoulder on it where it is reduced in diameter- although it is unlikely to be a problem, it could be a potential breaking point.

The Wisemann OEM Porsche ones are expensive but they are miles ahead of the others on quality. Nice smooth action, well finished and they have a good radius where the stem reduces in diameter.

527A1A47-9AF0-43BD-8440-C80B367329B9.jpg
[/URL]

thanks for this.i have both sets, mikes and vw ones to go in the new motor. this comparison from some one who knows what their doing without a axe to grind really has helped to make up my mind.porsche its going to be..by the way where did you get yours? was it in oz?

There oughta be a law against the ones from Mike's, lol.

Laws of implied warranty and merchantability. When you buy something it has to work or you can get your money back. Ha!

Yep that's the ones!

There is many websites that sell them, expect to pay between $21 - $30 each, for me in Australia I had to find the one with the cheapest intl shipping so I ended up paying $24 each plus shipping

1097FF9F-4F95-4386-B115-C3DD95157EC0.jpg

Great thread I think I am convinced. Question are there any "better" 3rd party units? something between the cheapest part on fleabay and $24 a bolt?

I think you read the price listing wrong. They're not $25 for a set of 8, they're $25 each. I think they're those same original Porsche ones listed above.

Ouch, you are right!

The search continues, LOL

Aftermarket I see three types/brands prices = set of 8

EMPI $24
4061.jpg

Bugpack $38
BP4010-10.jpg

and

EMPI $29
21-2031.jpg

Any experiences, comments on the different styles?

The next question that comes to mind is can the rockers be set up slightly off center to aid valve rotation or is that a myth, spring wind rotates the valves?

I'm going to go with the CB adjusters, simply because the threads come closer to the feet. Resurfacing the bottom will be easy, but they do have a 'gritty' feel when articulated, like the EMPI, as reported in an older 4-5 year old thread.

The rockers are already fitted off-center of the valve stems, but not sure if these elephants foot adjusters will promote rotation. I understood (way back then) that valve rotation was to help manage the leading build-up from leaded fuels, but that may not be an issue now...

It's probably good to have the threads coming closer to the feet, since clearancing the rockers for the elephant feet takes away about a third of the female threads - you want as much thread engagement in the remaining two-thirds as possible - hopefully 100% - to minimize peak sheer stress in the threads as the valve cycles.

Here is the way I installed the CB performance units in my engine. I now have 30,000 miles on them with no problems.

Attachments

• 20090214223616elephantfky9.jpg
    20090214223616elephantfky9.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 903
  • 20090214223652elephantfza1.jpg
    20090214223652elephantfza1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 884
  • 20090214224058elephantfdr4.jpg
    20090214224058elephantfdr4.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,324
The Wisemann OEM Porsche ones are expensive but they are miles ahead of the others on quality. Nice smooth action, well finished and they have a good radius where the stem reduces in diameter.

527A1A47-9AF0-43BD-8440-C80B367329B9.jpg
[/URL]
Where can you get these OEM Wisemann Porsche adjusters? I'd like a set!

EDIT: I re-read the thread more carefully....especially post #9. There they be!

Last edited:
I'd like to throw in on this too:

http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1737/

Also, GoodGollyJosh has done some research on these, and is going with the Porsche adjusters.
Josh? You there?

Yes, unfortunately, got this thread a little late but my two cents are that the Porsche units are the nicest. However, I am curious to see how well they hold up with the minimal amount of thread engagement after clearancing rocker. We shall see :shrug:

Back