Review of xs cycle vintage performance rocker arms

goodgollyjosh

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
For those of you who have been following my build, you know that I have done a lot of research on the elephant foot adjusters; brands, quality, cost, etc. Well, I recently came across these rocker arms from xs cycle out of Canada. I found them on ebay, they only had a few sets for sale, some of you here may have purchased them. I bought the last set but I am sure they will make more in the future. They were $120 plus $20 shipping to the U.S.. I wanted to do a quick review of them.

They are advertised as modified production xs rocker arms. They state that they are weight matched, re-faced, dry film coated on the slider follower, and clearanced for elephant foot adjusters (Porsche style). I was curious about these rocker arms because I bought genuine Porsche elephant foot adjusters and a set of four was $100 made by Mahle. So, I bought them to check out the details.

Well, these rockers do have the Porsche style, the paper work states they are made in the U.S. so they aren't trying to pass them off as something they aren't, I appreciate that. The quality of the foot is decent but not as nice as the Mahle unit, see picture for a comparison.

The dry film coating was done in Canada, it looks good but I can't see the quality of the re-facing job on the slider follower very well. You can kind of tell that the re-facing job does not go to the end of the pad, but the wear pattern of the cam doesn't normally travel that far anyway and I can say from experience it is difficult grinding these to the end without making contact with the oil squirter hole.

They do appear to have been lightly honed in the housing bore for the rocker shaft, that is good, I will check to make sure the clearances are where they should be.

The clearancing for the elephant foot is quite nice and leaves a lot of meat for strength.

Now, one thing I didn't like was the "weight matched" advertising. I checked these rockers and here are the numbers:
145.0903 grams
Now I realize most people's scales don't go to the fourth decimal place when measuring grams but when you weight match any engine component it is common knowledge that everyone expects them to be within a gram of one another. Not the end of the world I can do this myself, they just shouldn't have advertised it.

All in all, not too bad. I might give them a go to see how they do but with my Mahle adjusters installed :thumbsup:

xs rocker housing bore.jpg
xs rocker dry film coating.jpg
xs rocker clearancing  for swivel adjuster.jpg
porsche swivel feet comparison.jpg

Interesting. Is there any 'gritty' feel in the elephant's foot pocket? Wonder what dry-coating was used. Ever thought about before/after hardness testing of ground follower surface (if you have the testers)?

Did you measure and compare the width of the pin bores?

Concerning weight, I'd be more concerned about inertial moment and balance (about the rocker pin). Would take a lot of grinding to knock off 3-4 grams, but where?

I think we all know where the 'countersunk' relieving idea came from...

Interesting. Is there any 'gritty' feel in the elephant's foot pocket? Wonder what dry-coating was used. Ever thought about before/after hardness testing of ground follower surface (if you have the testers)?

Did you measure and compare the width of the pin bores?

Concerning weight, I'd be more concerned about inertial moment and balance (about the rocker pin). Would take a lot of grinding to knock off 3-4 grams, but where?

I think we all know where the 'countersunk' relieving idea came from...

No gritty feel of any kind. Not sure on the coating type. I wanted to perform a hardness test but unfortunately to do a Rockwell test with our equipment dimples the piece being tested, effectively rendering it useless. It's not the old bouncing ball tester, it's a newer hydraulic unit.

I haven't checked the rockers weight end for end like a connecting rod, but I doubt they went that far. I am sure it was just a bit of advertising trickery.

Where did the counter-sunk idea come from?

Where did the counter-sunk idea come from?
Wow, this has been a bit of a crow-eating history lesson. At first I thought it came from 5Twins in these posts:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=327246&postcount=22
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=334837&postcount=7

Then XSLeo mentioned doing it here in an older thread, and that he got the idea from someone else in post #5:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19403

But then dps650rider posted that he's put 30,000 miles on his:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showpost.php?p=330861&postcount=18

So, now I'm not sure at all. :shrug:

To my knowledge it was my idea unless somebody else though of it before I did and never posted anything on it. I researched this modification thoroughly on the web and was not happy about the loss in strength other methods resulted in. That is when I got the idea to do the taper.

I checked my records and added the elephant foot adjusters in Feb 2009.

Here is a link to my original posts on this.

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/thread/196/porsche-tappet-adjusters?page=7

Dps650rider, thanx so much for clarifying that! Also for the LINK! Yeah, that's old history for you gurus, but us new guys are trying to catch up.

Now I'm starting to wonder about those Kedo flat-ball tipped adjusters, drop-in style...

Back