Engine Sound

motomarv

1977 XS650
Reaction score

What are you hearing? I'm not sure if I am hearing things, like ticking, or if this is a normal engine sound.

mine sounds like that too. a kind of rythmic ticking. i assumed it was the cam chain and have been trying to tension it to make the noice go away (with little success). maybe the copper washer has to be replaced with the plastic one in the cam chain tensioner or could it also be the valve clearance ?

Sounds fine to me. Was the engine fully warmed up when you took the video? My '81 would always make a bit of a valve tapping noise on the right side after it got fully warmed up. Valve clearances were spot on. Others have reported this same thing, and the conclusion was that it was most likely normal.

Just ride the thang.

My '79 does the same thing and for awhile it really bothered me but I've concluded it's just normal. I do check my valve clearance/cam chain tensioner often (every 1-2 weeks) just to be sure!

Mine ticks a tiny amount as well. When the tensioner plastic is worn, it ticked very loudly.

God, something is wrong with that motor for sure! Don't run it. Oh, wait it's an xs650. Sounds normal to me.

Back