first run. SHAKEDOWN!!!

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
hey, HEY.
rode my 1980 chop a couple miles today , fisrt time on real roads. Pulls strong, doesnt slip outta gear, doesnt bog.
nothing fell off. got up to maybe 40mph. I think my front wheel is not seated all the way. had slight up/down. had both the wheels balanced by shop. I let the pressure out to 5lbs, and beat around the tire with a mallet. pumped back up to 30lbs. ill see if that works out.,
I only rode a couple miles, but was fun.
heres a thread on what i started with, plus progress.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183
After 6 years of saving moneys, searching the internets, learning everything from motor rebiuld to amature paint, plus crash course in makeing new wire harness, ide say its done, but they are never done.
The only thing i have left to do is head light, turn signals and brake lights. I had done them before, but the wires were everywhere, but i have good diagrams, and will get it done soon.
Heres another thread about half way thru the biuld.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15338
here are some pictures for your veiwing pleasure. Couldn't have done it without you guy. hugs all around.
Picture017-vi.jpg

picture022-vi.jpg

picture079-vi.jpg

picture130-vi.jpg

photo3-vi.jpg

photo4-vi.jpg

drivetowork025-vi.jpg

onefeduppiston-vi.jpg

coil-vi.jpg

it was almost black and green.
Photo05151447-vi.jpg

Last edited:
hi Angus, glad to hear you had a good shakedown run!
Was wondering what that other spring is for on the back of rear brake lever, where the stop light switch is also attached. I'm using a hydraulic brake switch, but wondering if I'm supposed to have that other spring back there..hmmmmm....

Anyway, wishing you many more happy rides. :)

hi Angus, glad to hear you had a good shakedown run!
Was wondering what that other spring is for on the back of rear brake lever, where the stop light switch is also attached. I'm using a hydraulic brake switch, but wondering if I'm supposed to have that other spring back there..hmmmmm....

Anyway, wishing you many more happy rides. :)

Emz,
If your brake light switch actuates from hydraulic pressure, you won't need the spring. That setup is so the switch won't over extend when the pedal travel increases as your brakes wear.

Ken-N

kenN is right about the spring. i think you have a hydro switch, so you dont need that type of switch i have.
Teecat, ive followed your journey front to back, and sometimes reed from the middle. my bike is not worthy of your bike.
thank you, tampa and carbon.
Alfredo, i love it when you pop in. I know your bike is done, and it is beutifull. you should stop in more often.
Thanks, muchacho !!!!!

What the hell !? I didnt post a full shot of my finished bike. sorry guys. here you go.
picture139-vi.jpg

Back