Fixing up my dad's old xs650

lambkr01

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I joined here a few weeks ago and have been lurking around so I thought it was time to introduce myself!

For the last few years I've been telling my dad that I want to fix up one of his old bikes... a 1979 xs650 Special. He bought it used in the early '90s and rode it for a few years before putting it up when he bought his first Harley. We're not too sure when it was last run, but we moved into the house they are currently at in 2000. He doesn't think it's been run since then, so we're looking roughly 13 years of sitting in the barn. It was running well when he put it in the barn, so I'm hoping to put some work into it and get it back on the road by the summer.

Last week I finally got it out of the barn at my parents house and got it on a trailer and into my garage now.

I've only done a little work so far. First, I made sure it wasn't seized up. Then I took the carbs off and gave them a good cleaning, took off the tank (there was some gas in it but it seems to be rust-free), and got a new battery. Not much so far, but it's a start.

This weekend I'm going to replace the fuel lines (they were all dried up and brittle so they mostly broke when removing the carbs and tank) and bleed the brake lines. After that I'll get the battery charged and see if I can get it to start. There's a lot cleaning up and polishing to do too, but my first goal is to get it running.

If I can figure out how to add pictures I'll do that soon.

You guys have been a big help so far with getting me steered in the right direction, so thanks for that! See you around!

-Kyle

Welcome! Glad you are here. Drain the oil, remove and clean the two oil screens, repair if needed. Don't trust the old brake lines, replace with teflon/stainless braid if you can afford it, otherwise just new lines. Clean and/or rebuild the m/c's and calipers.
The tires, no matter what they look like, are shot, replace. The list goes on and on but that's where the fun is. Once you've got fresh oil and clean screens see if it will run.

Have a good time.:thumbsup:

roy

Here are a couple pictures, thanks mick71b.

before1.jpg
before2.jpg

And thanks for the advice Royboy, especially the tires. They look like they're in good shape, but I'll take your word for it and replace them. And I was hoping not to have to mess too much with the brakes, but the more I do the more I'll learn, I suppose. I'm just praying that the electrical system is in good shape!

I bought one of those brand new and loved it! White letters were the shizznizzle back in the day.

No I hadn't seen that yet. Looks like a compression test will be added to my plans for this weekend. Thanks!

One of the often overlooked parts when cleaning the carbs is the choke take-off jets. They feed the chokes and if plugged, the chokes will not function. The bike will be very hard to start, if not impossible, when cold. Here's where they're located and how to check if you've cleared them .....

ChokeJet.jpg

ChokeJet2.jpg

There's a lot of info already on this forum about electrical systems and a lot of members who answer questions in that area based on far more knowledge and experience than I have now or ever will. That's what is so great about this "space", but you already know that! Anyway, four of the earliest things to do regarding electrical are (1) if you have the original fuseholder, check it carefully for cracked or broken clips and repair or replace - several ways to do it; (2) methodically take apart all connector plugs and clean out any corrosion you find; (3) check and clean all chassis grounds; and (4) check that your charging system is working properly, i.e., generating 14.5 volts give or take a few tenths at 3000 rpm and above. If the brushes are already worn too short, they're fairly easy to replace. If you're thinking about a PMA conversion, they are very popular; but first try to get the stock system working its best.

Well I got a lot of work done last weekend, but couldn't get it to start. Played around a bit and realized that I'm not getting a spark in either plug. I checked the fuse holder and it seemed to be in good shape, but I replaced all of the fuses anyways.

I think this weekend I'll check the cam chain tension, valves, and points and then go through and check and clean the connections and grounds. Hopefully I'll get spark then. If not I'll start looking into other possible causes.

Aldo - I'm definitely interested in a PMA conversion, but (like you said) I don't want to get into all of that until I've got it running first.

While you have the gas tank off, pull the top engine mount and retorque the head studs. Very good chance it will stop the oil leak I see in the pics.

Here's the how to

I would check or replace the sparkplug wires. They turn green under the caps. You can cut off some of the old wire to get past the green. The boots screw onto the wire cleen them also. The tires if you have unlimited funds replace. Your opinion and wallet on their being safe. :D Check for voltage at the coils. Check and clean points. With some TLC you have a nice bike. :thumbsup:

Got her started! I cleaned and regapped the points, then adjusted the cam chain tension and was able to get a good spark. I just played around a little bit with the choke and was able to get it to kick over. I'm so excited! Especially now that the weather is nice... I'm getting antsy to get out riding haha.

The one thing I noticed was that it's got a tiny oil leak that drips onto the tail pipe, which causes it to burn up and smoke a bit. I'm hoping that's just a seal that needs to be replaced.

Other than that, next weekend I'm going to rebuild both brake master cylinders and she should be close to being ready for inspection!

Checking in again...

I spent the last couple weekends doing brake work. I tried to rebuild the front MC, but it was totally shot and I had to order a new one. When I put that on I ended up getting a new single piece braided brake hose for it as well.

After that was set up I spent more time that I had hoped getting the brakes to bleed (bleeder screw problems) and then had to rebuild the calipers. (Thanks to the guys in this thread for the help!) But that's all done, now.

At this point I think I'm just about ready to take it in for state inspection! I'm going to spend this weekend going to town with the steel wool and polish to get it all nice and shiny. I'll try and get pictures up last this weekend!

Back