Flat track project

Pipes - simply world class build you have going there!

I'm curious on your choice of plain carbon steel round tubing for swingarm.

Pipes - simply world class build you have going there!

I'm curious on your choice of plain carbon steel round tubing for swingarm.

Actually, as long as stiffness (rigidity) is the main objective, then mild steel is just as good as chrome moly. It is not as strong, but has pretty much the same Young's modulus. In fact, even spring steel is not stiffer than mild steel as long as the stress is below the yield limit.
This may sound counterintuitive, but that is how it is.

So this week I have been slowly tinkering in the shed with the project...I have been concentrating on the headstock/yokes (trees) and fitting the correct fasteners to the engine mounting plates.I also spent a little time on the lower linkage bearings which required pressing In to the frame..I was originally going to use bronze bushes but decided on needle roller bearings.

As for the headstock,I fitted up the yokes but didn't realise till now how unsightly the stem nuts and bearing cap looked especially seeing as I'm not going to have a lot to cover it, ie headlight etc..but I managed to find a stainless pipe end cap at work which I thought could work.One hole later and a 2mm skim off each stem nut it fitted great..don't you just love it when things fall into place...having said that,it is taking time to come together despite the mock up to begin with but that's down to me spending a little more time to do things right..I don't want to get this far to simply cut corners...
Cool mod with the stem nut. What size blanking nut did you use?

Actually, as long as stiffness (rigidity) is the main objective, then mild steel is just as good as chrome moly. It is not as strong, but has pretty much the same Young's modulus. In fact, even spring steel is not stiffer than mild steel as long as the stress is below the yield limit.
This may sound counterintuitive, but that is how it is.
Good to know.

Adam C

I used a 2" dairy end cap as we call them in the UK...hygienic fittings they are also know as...👍

To be honest...being on a tight budget and having mild steel already at hand helped with that decision 😄

oh,I did toy with the idea for a rectangular section but the round stock complimented the rest of the frame.
I completely agree that the round tube is congruous with the rest of the chassis; looks better than the typical box section. Hey, it's different, prompting my curiosity, but that is what sets your build apart.👍

Hi guys..

Spent a little time in the extremely hot shed tonight...I decided to fit the front wheel and brake caliper.I am still waiting on the swing arm which means I have to do a few little jobs but as soon as that's ready I can get the bike on both wheels and rolling...

I plan to lockwire some of the crucial bolts as it's something I've always liked the look of and it's quite therapeutic. I turned down some cap head bolts,drilled them through and wired them after fitting..its my first attempt so feel free to tell me if its not up to scratch.

Also..I have an issue,possibly, with the tyres..I first thought just the back was an issue but on closer inspection it seems the front has the same issue.As it revolves the tyre 'wobbles' in the area's marked with brown tape as shown in the pic.Its on both sides and if you look closely you can see the wording on the sidewall is further into the rim in those areas..I'm thinking maybe I should deflate the tyres,'massage' the sidewalls into the rim and re-inflate..do you think this would work or anyone have any ideas..many thanks in advance 👍

Attachments

• 20220711_181545.jpg
    20220711_181545.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220711_181556.jpg
    20220711_181556.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 75
  • 20220711_181608.jpg
    20220711_181608.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 75
I made it from scratch mate.I found if you can't find exactly what you want then the only choice is to make it...where are you based as I'm sure you'd find a set in the UK..👍

Looks like those tyres are not properly seated in the rims. The usual way to get them seated is high pressure - I've seen 100psi before a stubborn tyre POPs. Tyre fitting liquid or even Fairy liquid and water can help. The bead should end up equal around the circumference.

Looks like those tyres are not properly seated in the rims. The usual way to get them seated is high pressure - I've seen 100psi before a stubborn tyre POPs. Tyre fitting liquid or even Fairy liquid and water can help. The bead should end up equal around the circumference.
Spot on Raymond. What he said.

Yup! Same here, just a little dish soap and water in a spray bottle. Sometimes hitting the tire in the center of the tread with a hammer while you’re airing it up will also help it jump into place on the edge of the rim.

Cheers guys,I'll give them a go at the weekend.
If they don't POP first go, sometimes I've seen the owner remove the valve to completely deflate the tyre, give it a few Whacks like @Mailman suggests, replace the valve and have another go with high pressure. Good luck.

Back