WELSH FLAT TRACK REVIVAL

"Floating" secondary.

1696349968114.png

I had a TCI coil that would only fired the left side so that was my thought as a solution here. His bike looks built to be ridden, not just to look at. I don't know what coil he has in it but if it is a 40 year old stock TCI coil I don't how far from home I would ride it. On the other hand it has a modern coil then plug and wire on the left side could be suspect. Was hoping for feedback from Adamc as to what coil and wires are installed.

just went back and found this .
Swapped out the NGK non resistor plugs for brand new correctly gaped NGK resistor plugs with appropriate non-resistor NGK caps.
Checked valve clearances and all are OK.

I would put a timing light on the left side and see what it does when revving as a first step.

Well not read so carefully but a few TCI s have been tried
The carburetors looks clean as in a surgical clinic ..and has been serviced

Assuming the battery is fresh and charged
I am at poor power supply to the ignition box coils or the left cylinder as been suggested here
Most likely the box.
I don't know much about Gonzo but if it is a Waste spark system i would look into shifting left electrics to right and right to left see if the problems follows.

I would then check the power supply all the way to ignition box and coils
I would most likely draw a temporary separate wire . All the way from the battery to be sure the power is there and a separate ground so it is there NOT leaving the power on the coil or box it can fry i sometimes use a switch on that wire

Adam

Been away for awhile.
I would check your coil. Intermittent spark problems a lot of times are caused by breakdown of the varnish on the windings of the coil. A cheap Honda 750 coil repop would be a easy test.

Iechyd Da

Jack
Thanks @Team Junk (Jack)
I bought a brand new coil from Yambits UK.
I will finish checking Valve Gaps, and then do a plug lead swap side to side.
See if the misfire moves to the right.
Ads.

Well not read so carefully but a few TCI s have been tried
The carburetors looks clean as in a surgical clinic ..and has been serviced

Assuming the battery is fresh and charged
I am at poor power supply to the ignition box coils or the left cylinder as been suggested here
Most likely the box.
I don't know much about Gonzo but if it is a Waste spark system i would look into shifting left electrics to right and right to left see if the problems follows.

I would then check the power supply all the way to ignition box and coils
I would most likely draw a temporary separate wire . All the way from the battery to be sure the power is there and a separate ground so it is there NOT leaving the power on the coil or box it can fry i sometimes use a switch on that wire
Will do Jan
The battery is brand new and on a good quality battery keeper.
In fact the whole system is brand new with the exception of the rotor system (which all looks new). charging system is working well.

I don’t have a kill switch, the iggy key is used to switch off.
Thats the only ‘old part’ in the system.

I will look at your other suggestions over the weekend..

Thanks as always.
Ads.

Will do Jan
The battery is brand new and on a good quality battery keeper.
In fact the whole system is brand new with the exception of the rotor system (which all looks new). charging system is working well.

I don’t have a kill switch, the iggy key is used to switch off.
Thats the only ‘old part’ in the system.

I will look at your other suggestions over the weekend..

Thanks as always.
Ads.
I am a novice here. I have two bikes now in the last 2 years. Both had dirty contacts/high voltage loss through older dirty ignition switches. We all need to remember our friend and mentor @grzld advice, "ignition first"...

THE MISFIRE GOES ON......and on......and on
OK the saga continues.
Following on from the multiple carb cleaning sessions.
Yesterday I did the following:
1. Checked the timing chain tension
2. Checked the valve tappet gaps
3. Trimmed and dressed the new plug cables
4 Refitted cables to new coil
5. Refitted old NGK resistor plug caps (replaced the new non-resistor ones)
6. Refitted old Non-resistor NGK BP7ES plugs properly gaped & cleaned.
7. Checked all connections were clean and sound
10. Fresh E5 fuel in remote tank

Fire the thing up first press on button:

Running OK on choke. Warmed up nicely. Choke off, and steady idle.
Revs up to over 3000rpm without hesitation. Drops back to steady idle.
Shows 14.3v on voltage meter; so charging seems to be good.
If you notice hear or see anything in the video feel free to comment.

Feeling confident I take her out for a road test. Pulls well through the gears, no pops or bangs.
A couple of clean laps around the block, about 2 miles; then Taffy misfires on the left again.
Limp back to shop deflated....:banghead:

As always I warmed Taffy up well before switching off; and taking outside.
I just don't understand how it always runs perfectly for a few miles then turns into a bucking pig.

Next is to swap leads over and retry. See if the problem moves to the other side.
I will also dismantle the iggy switch (I don't run a kill switch)
Maybe tomorrow....:umm:

Ads

Last edited:
This is grasping at straws Adam... but that's where we're at at this point.....
Try cutting off the zip ties where the leads come out of the coils. Just let the HT leads run straight back. I seriously doubt the spark can jump from one to the other... but yeah, we're grasping here. You might need to cut 'em anyway to swap leads.

Another thing to try is removing the carbs (yet again) and swapping all the brass and bits from one side to the other. Jets, emulsion tubes, slides, floats, choke plunger... all of the internals except the butterfly's.
We need to isolate somehow between ignition and fueling. Damned if I know how at this point, but I'm very skeptical it's ignition.

Any developments ?
I have those carburetors rarely --- 5 tines over 40 years giving any major problems
Have been cleaned here

Electrics however I have had problems with every year for 40 years

If i remember right it is misfiring on one side only --- to sum it up in my view it is an electric problem So which Electric problem then ?
The shifting of ignition leads left to right and vice versa could help If the problems follows

But I do know from a Boyer system That checked out on one cylinder when the mechanical regulator started to overcharge.
When hot
The left cylinder ..even though the system had the same overcharging It never stopped the right side
Replacing the regulator and rectifier solved it without new Alternator Rotor

I assume you have a Voltage measurement on the bike
One possibility could be to install another or the same on the supply to the Ignition Box .

I don't know your setup but one way forward could be to disconnect the charging circuit and run on the battery only.
It can be done for a while getting it warm and hot --- if it is a heat dependent problem in the charging circuit it wont disturb the ignition if it is Disconnected

Vibrations then ?? could be But in my view It is a partial short circuit when warm feel free to disregard if these have already been tested

Any developments ?
I have those carburetors rarely --- 5 tines over 40 years giving any major problems
Have been cleaned here

Electrics however I have had problems with every year for 40 years

If i remember right it is misfiring on one side only --- to sum it up in my view it is an electric problem So which Electric problem then ?
The shifting of ignition leads left to right and vice versa could help If the problems follows

But I do know from a Boyer system That checked out on one cylinder when the mechanical regulator started to overcharge.
When hot
The left cylinder ..even though the system had the same overcharging It never stopped the right side
Replacing the regulator and rectifier solved it without new Alternator Rotor

I assume you have a Voltage measurement on the bike
One possibility could be to install another or the same on the supply to the Ignition Box .

I don't know your setup but one way forward could be to disconnect the charging circuit and run on the battery only.
It can be done for a while getting it warm and hot --- if it is a heat dependent problem in the charging circuit it wont disturb the ignition if it is Disconnected

Vibrations then ?? could be But in my view It is a partial short circuit when warm feel free to disregard if these have already been tested
Hello Jan,
thanks for the ‘poke’
I too think it’s electrical, though no idea why.
Your suggestions are valid, and pertinent.
I will find time to dig deeper in the coming days.
Right now I’m busy closing down my business, due to Putins economic fall out!
Probably post over the weekend.
Best regards,
Adam.

If I understood that, are you shutting up the furniture store? I had no idea your business was in difficulties, well, why would any of us.
Yes Raymond we have pulled the plug.

ADAM JAMES INTERIORS : www.aj-interiors.co.uk
All display items are for sale at super low prices

We opened out own store 7 years ago (after running business for others to make millions), and the first year trading exceeded expectations by a large margin; had to pay HMRC tax on profits as well as corporation tax after just 8 months. So things looked really good at that time, and Mrs C and I were looking forward to the future. Then Brexit kicked off, and it all slowed down. We sell high end furniture mostly sourced from European countries. Brexit dragged on but Boris did a deal; for the Government rather than small businesses like mine. Import issues and import VAT made life difficult, but we continued at a slower upward pace. Then COVID came and closed us for a whole year; but bills still needed paying. Got over that and things looked better for a while.... Then Putin waved his cock to piss over Ukraine and all world economies were affected. Cost prices went up as footfall went down. I put £40k into the business during the last 6 months to prop the store up, and things show no sign of improving. We are £250k down on the investment, and I'll be lucky to recover £50k from the stock sales. The world is suffering economically.

You can't flog a dead horse; so we decided to hang up our stirrups and move on.
Sadly my workshop and bike store go with the shop; and I have no garage at home.
I will have to see if I can find alternative arrangements for The Brat & Taffy.

Cheers,
Ads. :shrug:

So sorry to hear of your difficulties, Ads. Hope you can find a good way ahead.

Oh, and for the bikes, there might be the option of a shed?
I have a very good shed in the garden for my tools, bicycles and other portable kit.
Unfortunately my house stands 22 steps up from the road!
My off road riding motorbike skill aint that good....:lmao:

Install a winch* in the shed?

* A winch Adam, not a wench.... though I suppose a wench could be taught to properly push a bike uphill. :umm:
Might even prove entertaining... :wink2:

Back