gordonscott bike

jefft

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I came across a motorcycle in the pictures here that I really like. It was built by Gordonscott. The bike has a great stance to it. Does anyone know anything thing about the paticuliars of this bike? The bike looks rather long and I'm thinking he raked it some. It looks like its based on a stock frame. I'm hoping he will show up here again and can give some close up pics or at least some insight on how he accomplished this.
Todd

Last edited:
Thats the bike for sure. Thanks. I don't see too many XS's that have been raked like that. In my opinion a chop looks soooooo. much better when raked like that.
Todd

I came across a motorcycle in the pictures here that I really like. It was built by Gordonscott. The bike has a great stance to it. Does anyone know anything thing about the paticuliars of this bike? The bike looks rather long and I'm thinking he raked it some. It looks like its based on a stock frame.
Todd
Hi Todd, I know a little about it, lots of missinformation on the net about that bike. It's NOT an "81" but a "78" see the rear disk brake, thats a give away that it's not an "81" The bike has a 4" stretch and is raked to 40deg. Also the bike was made to use those Firestone replica tires. What I mean is the final ride hight was designed around those tires. Any thing else just ask.

I would like to be able to talk to you further about that bike. Any contact info? Did you build the frame? What size are those tires?
Jeffery

Gordon what kind of brake controller are you running to control the rear disc? I love the clean look that it provides, and I was just wondering how the heck it works... Ironhead.

I think the rake makes all the difference. A lot you see are ones that a hardtail has been welded onto. In my opinion the gas tank always seems to end up sitting at a really weird angle. I've seen some where the tank almost seems to be setting up on end. The rake seems to level the bike out and just a much better look. However, I just haven't seen too many that have been raked to 40 degrees. I imagine quite a bit more involved is why most leave it stock rake.
Jefft

Last edited:
Gordon what kind of brake controller are you running to control the rear disc? I love the clean look that it provides, and I was just wondering how the heck it works... Ironhead.
Hi Ironhead, I just ran a "T" spliter from a late model sportbike master and ran one line to the front and other to the rear. Stops fine without either locking up before the other.

Gordonscott uses a couple louvered air cleaners from a 3-duce automobile intake set up on this bike. The air cleaners can be found on ebay for less then $40. They are very attractive air cleaners. However, the inside of the air cleaners will hit the frame tube due to their width. Does anyone know how he mounted these air cleaners? I believe he offset them away from the frame some how to get the required clearance but I am not sure how. Maybe he built some sort of small, short airbox to mount the aircleaners to? Material used? Maybe if he shows up here again he can shed some light on this!

Last edited:
Gordonscott uses a couple louvered air cleaners from a 3-duce automobile intake set up on this bike. The air cleaners can be found on ebay for less then $40. They are very attractive air cleaners. However, the inside of the air cleaners will hit the frame tube due to their width. Does anyone know how he mounted these air cleaners? I believe he offset them away from the frame some how to get the required clearance but I am not sure how. Maybe he built some sort of small, short airbox to mount the aircleaners to? Material used? Maybe if he shows up here again he can shed some light on this!
Hi Jeff, I got all of your emails from the last 48hrs :laugh: I'm here a lot just not every day, sometimes I :bike: Ok, aircleaners where made useing pluming supplies from hardware store. Rubber reducers to go from carb to air cleaners, don't know if it will clear your frame or not, all customs are different. The tires are "Firestone replicas" from cokertire, 400/19 front and 500/16 rear. The brakes are connected together useing a regular "T" fitting and a modern sportbike master made for duel front disc's. The electronics are hidden in the frame gusset and headlight. The headlight is from a old Italian bike and made by "LEV". I make my own frames but the first bike I built the frame was made by Dave the "Tigman" at Worldclass welding, great guy and first class welder :thumbsup: The bike used the stock length front forks with a 40deg rake in the neck. The frame hight with the firestone tires is about 4" off the ground. The exhaust was made by me, I make all styles of custom systems for the xs and have made over 200 exhaust systems so far. I have made so many because I offer a custom service and work with the customer to build the exhaust they invision. If I just mass produced a few styles the number would not even be close to that amount. I think this covers it :laugh: Hope this helps Jeff, good luck on your build :thumbsup: P.S Check out my Albums for more, just click on my name to get to them.

Ha ha nice! :thumbsup: I have to join the long line of admirers of this bike. It's one of the nicest XS' I've seen yet. And I've been looking at LOTS of pics since I've started mine. :)

I've been meaning to ask Scott about this bike for some time am really glad this thread popped up. Pretty much all of my questions have been answered... but one remains...

Scott what is the diameter of that headlight? I've been looking at doing a headlight with built in speedo like that and have come across buckets from Ducati, Sears, Puch and Benelli, but I found they vary in size from 3.5 in, to 4in, 4.5, and then to 7in. 7 inch seems huge on these bikes. So am curious, what size is the one on your build? Looks perfect.

Also, I'm going to be one of your customers soon for your exhaust. Are you able to make the shotguns for hardtails with front controls?

Thanks for the info on the brake system, I found some good photos of your bike, on your web site go figure, and seen that it was a tee. I have a FZR 1000 master cylinder, so if I copy your method, it is an homage, not a theft.(LOL) I too, will be one of your future customers, I absolutely love the pipes you made for 'Boris', would you consider making a set with turn outs, or ground pounders? Also, do you do Raking? I'm in Ma. (the Berkshires) so delivery and pick up is not a concern to me. Thanks for you time.

I think that headlight/speedo is still availabble through Custom Chrome. Look for part #632160. Been wanting to build a similar bike myself.
Jefft

Last edited:
Ha ha nice! :thumbsup: I have to join the long line of admirers of this bike. It's one of the nicest XS' I've seen yet. And I've been looking at LOTS of pics since I've started mine. :)

I've been meaning to ask Scott about this bike for some time am really glad this thread popped up. Pretty much all of my questions have been answered... but one remains...

Scott what is the diameter of that headlight? I've been looking at doing a headlight with built in speedo like that and have come across buckets from Ducati, Sears, Puch and Benelli, but I found they vary in size from 3.5 in, to 4in, 4.5, and then to 7in. 7 inch seems huge on these bikes. So am curious, what size is the one on your build? Looks perfect.

Also, I'm going to be one of your customers soon for your exhaust. Are you able to make the shotguns for hardtails with front controls?
Hi Nooovie, Glad you like the bike. The headlight is a 5 1/4 I think? I sold the bike so I can't go check but I'm pretty sure. About the pipes, look in my albums on this site http://www.xs650.com/forum/member.php?u=344 you will see a few bikes set up just like what you are asking for, so yes I can make pipes for use with forwards :thumbsup: thanks and good luck with your build, make sure to post progress.

I absolutely love the pipes you made for 'Boris', would you consider making a set with turn outs, or ground pounders? Also, do you do Raking? I'm in Ma. (the Berkshires) so delivery and pick up is not a concern to me. Thanks for you time.
Hi Ironhead, I can make you any set of pipes you like, no problem:thumbsup: I am not doing frame work for customers right now but am thinking about it since I get asked all the time so who knows :shrug: By the way, Roy Fisk is a friend of mine and I know your bike well, cool ride :thumbsup::thumbsup: He was going to have me make hi-pipes for it but then.... well you know :D

I would like to know about that short little rear fender. Where did you find that fender?
Jefft

Back