Hello I'm Jeremy new to the motorcycle life.i just bought and old 78 xs650 and it needs a lot of work.

Josey90

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello I'm Jeremy I just bought a really rough xs 650. I'm looking to figure out where to start on the rebuild and any helpful info I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• received_281410687464914.jpeg
    received_281410687464914.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 148
  • received_221047210213651.jpeg
    received_221047210213651.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 149
  • received_1341662076282792.jpeg
    received_1341662076282792.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 144
  • received_290853813131668.jpeg
    received_290853813131668.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 144
  • received_675679477213195.jpeg
    received_675679477213195.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 144
  • received_715422319898130.jpeg
    received_715422319898130.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 149
Hi Jeremy! Welcome to the forum.
You've got a basic starting point there, and the roughness just means it will be more interesting. :)
There are manuals available for free download :
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

and the tech section has loads of info.
And a bunch of folks will come along soon to offer advice.
Clean up and a careful examination of the strengths and issues of your bike is a starting point.
Drop the float bowls off the carbs to see what's inside; this will tell you what you need to do with the carbs.
We typically go through the electrical connections to clean them up before trying to start the engine.
And there is something called a "wake up" for the engine before trying to get it going.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/starting-an-engine-after-a-long-lay-up.48411/#post-490543

I have two of these Specials and I enjoy them a lot.

Dude

Last edited:
I
Hello I'm Jeremy I just bought a really rough xs 650. I'm looking to figure out where to start on the rebuild and any helpful info I can get would be greatly appreciated.
I'll get better pictures after work I just got it home last night and it was dark thanks for the ok info looking forward to more as I go

Decisions are always made on knowledge and facts.
And it also depend on what the goal is
fex aiming to ride this summer or perhaps as some .. never ride just into it for the building.
Have different approaches.
At times it is so that an old vehicle needs a funeral more than work and money
I does not look so in this case
But if it was me I would try to get it running .. ( Please do the read up ) If that checks out the focus can be on the exterior for a while saddle and other.

There are things missing intake and the left engine side cover is open a bit. Fine tires
Sending signals some problems are there
perhaps Shorted alternator rotor.

A hose down washing and pictures .people here gives advice might as well take off the left engine cover look if there is any alternator inside at all

Before you buy any stuff for the bike, check with us; many Special owners have boxes of parts laying around just looking for a new home.
And we can advise you where to get the best deals and best parts.
Thanks from the looks of the bike I may need quite a few. I know I need parts like all lights ,seat, and gauges

Decisions are always made on knowledge and facts.
And it also depend on what the goal is
fex aiming to ride this summer or perhaps as some .. never ride just into it for the building.
Have different approaches.
At times it is so that an old vehicle needs a funeral more than work and money
I does not look so in this case
But if it was me I would try to get it running .. ( Please do the read up ) If that checks out the focus can be on the exterior for a while saddle and other.

There are things missing intake and the left engine side cover is open a bit. Fine tires
Sending signals some problems are there
perhaps Shorted alternator rotor.

A hose down washing and pictures .people here gives advice might as well take off the left engine cover look if there is any alternator inside at all
Thanks I do wanna get it running and rideable before this summer is over

Thanks I do wanna get it running and rideable before this summer is over
I suggest you get into the manual. Clean the bike as able. Do a complete service as indicated in the book. Start at front and work your way back. Don’t tear the whole thing apart if you want to ride this summer. You should find most of what’s broken along the way.

There are two "standard" BS34 carbies, miketweedie. Early alloy top units were OE on XS350 and XS400 twins and some multis. Later tin top carbs were found on the XS650G (1980) and forward. Tin top BS34s on bikes made for Canadian and other venues had adjustable needles and needle jets to match. Needles on US models were fixed and needle jets differed, so if adjustable needles are installed on US models, matching needle jets must be installed with them.

There are two "standard" BS34 carbies, miketweedie. Early alloy top units were OE on XS350 and XS400 twins. Later tin top carbs were found on the XS650G (1980) and forward. Tin top BS34s on bikes made for Canadian and other venues had adjustable needles and needle jets to match. Needles on US models were fixed and needle jets differed, so if adjustable needles are installed on US models, matching needle jets must be installed with them.
This forum rules, thanks so much Griz. I have a Canadian '81 650 so I have those carbs. Great info, as they need some love!

Josie90, your bike may be a "bitsa." The BS34 carbs came out in 1980, and the lack of points wires emerging from the left cam cover may indicate the presence of crank fired electronic ignition, which also came out in 1980. Good luck with your project. Things will go easier if you do research before you do trouble shooting.

That 78 on the scren shop Jim posted is a mistake. The PDF wouldn't let me change the model from 77-78 to 78-79. It is a fault from when the list was made up. INXS made this Vin chart. The tags on the side is the confirmation Vin no's i collected from people who posted me their Vin Lable off the bike. Engine and frames matched.....

I will fix that, your right it is confusing........... one of those things that wasn't finished.

Those 2F0- vin numbers seem a little confusing. Where the `79's-`80's appear to be lower numerically than the `78's

The XS2F/S II with the year 78 on the screenshot, Jim posted is a mistake. The PDF wouldn't let me change the model from 77-78 to 78-79. It is a fault from when the list was made up. INXS made this Vin chart. The tags on the side is the confirmation Vin no's i collected from people who posted me their Vin Lable off the bike. Engine and frames matched.....

I will fix that, your right it is confusing........... one of those things that wasn't finished.

If you think that is confusing go to Biker.net an look at his, lol

Back