Help... Hard to push and shakes

jtg89

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Pushes hard forward or backward, a lot of resistance, when handles are turned but not hard when straight. Also the whole bike will start to shake if I have the handles turned all the way to the left and try to push/pull. Seems to start in the front. It takes a lot of effort to move the bike on flat ground when turning at all. There is no chain on the bike yet so I know it's not drive train. Also I bought it and they had already started to turn it into a bobber. I'm new to bikes and I am not sure what would cause this. Attached a picture I don't know if that will help or not

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 269
sloppy head....oh wait...thats a good ...nevermind.
Check that your head is tight.....dammit!!

Hard to push? Rusty dry wheel bearings, crushed wheel bearings due to the center spacer missing, Really old rubber brake lines, VERY over torqued axle nuts. Keep working.

Thanks for the posts. The front brakes are dragging when the handlebars get turned. It does have old brake hoses on it that are all cracked and need to be replaced

If the brakes drag with the wheel turned, then they should also drag with the wheel straight.
I agree with everyone else, but I'll add one thing: I once got a bike that the owner had put tapered bearings in the steering stem, but he got the races reversed or something, don't exactly remember, but the bottom race was cocked because it was in the wrong place and didn't fit, that bike handled and turned terribly, took a while to figure out the problem.

Seems to be a dragging brakes. Another would be worn wheel bearing that could seize any moment.

Back