Heritage Rat Resto Re-assemble

Hey guys,

I have put about 10 miles on the bike, fun to ride, but engine needs some love. I checked the compression on the warm motor. 120 left, 90 right. It actually got worse. Also I hear a sound I don't like when I'm coming to a stop sign and the engine is idling down. I wouldn't describe it as a knock or a tick, but more of a tap tap tap. It seems like it's coming from the top, but hard to be sure.

I plan to spend evenings this week taking out the motor and hopefully get a look inside on Saturday. Once there it looks like the options are only limited by the wallet. I guess I'll let the motor tell me what it needs and then make decisions on upgrades.

Arod....

A sad state of affairs. But tomorrow I learn it's story....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 116
Well found the source of my compression woes. The valve seats look pretty nasty. There's a shop up the road I've used before that can fix them up. He'll grind the valves and fix up the seats. Reasonable too. Probably 50 bucks for the whole thing. Not worth me messing with. I'll supply new seals and guides if he needs them.

The cylinders don't look bad, but as long as I'm in there I'll have those punched out to the first over also.

I haven't found the source of my tapping or knocking. My research on this site suggests if the noise shows up after the engine warms up, (which mine did) it's possibly the big end of the rods. I'm this close so I'm going to have a look. There as a couple of small pieces of aluminum I found around the sump filter too, so want to check it out. Just waiting on the rotor puller from Mikes.

One other thing I noticed is the wrist pins have blue lines around them instead of brown like I've seen on other engines. It looks like they've been hot.

Are there any must change items other than seals and gaskets in the crankcase once I have it opened? Is the overdrive 5th gear a good upgrade?

Thanks in advance.........

Arod

Attachments

• DSC00477.jpg
    DSC00477.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC00478.jpg
    DSC00478.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 106
Back