How fast?

I think he's running pods and baffled straight pipes but with stock jetting in BS34s. He's probably lucky it goes as fast as it does, lol. To get the most out of this or any bike, you want everything set to proper specs - cam chain, valves, timing, and of course, carbs properly jetted for your mods. Have all this stuff just a little off and it adds up to a poor running and/or performing bike.

My recent test run that I mentioned was taken after a minor timing adjustment. I retarded it a degree or two and wanted to see if I'd lost any performance. In fact, I think it runs better this way. I've had it to the ton before but it just seemed to go there more willingly this time. Yamaha updated the timing specs on these bikes way back in '71. They advanced it a couple degrees supposedly "to permit smoother and more synchronized idling". That may very well be but I think bumping the full advance to 40° BTDC from the previous 38° spec may diminish high RPM and high speed performance a bit.

Thanks for everyones help. I figured it out. As for the retired gentleman, what do you think I am trying to do. This is my first build. I thought thats what this forum is for. You know learning from more experienced bike builders instead of taking it to a mechanic and not learning. But thanks for your sarcastic remark while I am trying to learn.

running good, fresh set valves and points I took mine for a ride one day hooked up with a bunch of Harley boys pissing around and running town to town, 15 to 20 miles pops here in Iowa, we lit them up coming out of one little burg wide open 2 lane flat for a couple miles 7000rpm 1.2.3., 4th. ripped up to 6500 and 5th 6300 (chickened out) looking at 110mph , couple of the hotrods were still with me but didn't hear any more shit about small bike/motor ... these will run if set up right

catastrophe;

Members on the forum are glad to help, but asking a question about poor performance, and then not giving any information about your engine, will not solve your problem. We can all guess; maybe its a BS38 or BS34, maybe its an aftermarket carb, maybe its a stock exhaust, maybe its straight pipes, maybe its been re-jetted, but maybe it has not. Does it have points, does it have a TCI..........so many questions.

Percisely why all I asked was how fast they were capable of going and posted before your comment that I am gonna have to go for the jetting. Guess you failed to read that!

Our ole buddy cat started a different thread about carbs, gave more info and got some suggestions there.
So unless you had guessed there were two threads covering the same ground at the same time you got just part of the story.

Yeah I know they resulted into the same topic. That wasnt my intention. I am still new to these bikes and though I knew I was gonna have to rejet the carbs, I didnt know it would make that big of an effect on the top speed. I read alot of others peoples post that these bikes top out quick and I wasnt sure what was the truth. So to all of those who helped it is much appreciated.

Did you check 650 central?

Pilot Jets
For Mikuni BS38 & BS34 Series Carbs: '70-75; '80-84 BS30/96Stock sizes: '70-73, #42.5; '74-75, #45; '80-84, #42.5
Sold each, Order 2.

#42.5 jet, #CSUDmi004.059 .... $3.68 each
#45 jet, #CSUDmi004.060.........$3.68 each
#47.5 jet, #CSUDmi004.061 .....$3.68 each

You can also buy genuine mikuni jets from niche cycle and they usually send them out the same day.

You can buy individually and they charge a cheap postage. I buy all mine from their online store on ebay..

My local dealership stocks genuine Mikuni jets. Worth a shot if you have a local one, they are about the same price as online at mine, I think about $6-7 a pair.

~ Derek

Back