how smooth or hard?

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've lubed the clutch cable and the long part work smooth now, but the short metal bend before entering LH case still runs very hard.

Is it normal that the wire runs a lot harder through this bend? See image

M

Attachments

• IMG_2771.jpg
    IMG_2771.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 93
Yes it is fairly normal and I haven't tried the bend it straight thing yet but it seems like a reasonable alteration. New motion pro cables aren't that expensive and if the old cable was rusted it's just matter of time before.............

Okej, so a little harder is normal. Clever though, to bend it straight. Should work, since it goes fairly straight down into the case.

But, will not the alu material brake when bending it?

That part of the oem cable is steel,it will straighten easily,you can put a screwdriver behind the center to get the last bit of bend out,

I don't make mine quite straight but do remove about half the bend .....

ElbowsCompared.jpg

You want a little bit of a bend so it directs the cable inward and up between the carbs. Also, when you clamp it in the vice, let the cable sheath end hang out or you'll crimp it shut .....

ElbowModded.jpg

You want a little bit of a bend so it directs the cable inward and up between the carbs. Also, when you clamp it in the vice, let the cable sheath end hang out or you'll crimp it shut .....

How do you mean "between the carbs"? Mine went along the mid part of the frame, over one of the carbs and down, touching the front of the side air cover. Do you have a picture?

m

How do you mean "between the carbs"? Mine went over one of the carbs and down, touching the front of the side air cover. Do you have a picture?

m

Courtesy of #9 guru......

Attachments

• cable%20routing%20left%20side.JPG
    cable%20routing%20left%20side.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 77
  • cable%20routing%20right%20side.JPG
    cable%20routing%20right%20side.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 76
Mine's not as stock tidy as the pics.....goes out from the lever and then in behind the instrument cluster, follows the backbone on the left side then meets up with the engine breather hose, follows along with that between the carbs and then goes into the case. That final metal piece points a bit back toward the back upright part of the frame, if you follow. Seems to flow and function well.

I have lower than stock bars so maybe that affects how I route the cable up front but I don't think it does back by the carbs. It runs down between my carbs .....

ClutchCable2.jpg

ClutchCable.jpg

When you find the quarters cramped you can grind off 1/8 - 1/4" on the back side of the bracket ( between the carbs).
I haven't had any problems with one for several years. Before I found out you shouldn't cut on a stocker. ;)

Definitely!

That looks like a good route and seems to work fine with the metal tube bended a bit, 5twins. I will try that. Will also help not getting more of the paint off by the cable rubbing against the front of the LH side cover.

You can make it work even easier if you oil the cable with motor oil. It's easiest to do with the cable removed and hanging. Dribble a few drops of oil in the top and let it run down in. Keep doing that for 10 minutes or so and eventually the oil will work it's way all the way through and start coming out the bottom. I do this with all my cables, even the brand new ones. Many new ones come with little if any oil in them.

I agree with you, 5twins. An oil lubed cable works much better than using one of those clamp on lubers you use a squirt can to lube with.
The oil is smoother and lasts much longer.

Leo; Since you were diss'n the power luber I tried a new trick; power luber with carb cleaner till the old crap is out of the cable then I used a pump oil can pushed the spout into the power luber it let me quickly force oil throughout the cable. fast and oiled hard to beat that.

I may try that. I do the oil thing like 5twins, I build a foil funnel to put around the top of the cable. Holds the oil, so i can let it seep down while I do something else.

Actually, I have an old cable oiling tool I got from JC Whitney years ago. It's a plastic syringe you clamp to the cable top, put oil in it, and pump it through. I use it if I'm in a hurry or doing cables on the bike .....

CableOiler2.jpg

The one I really want is this though. Looks to be the Cadillac of cable oilers (British, of course) .....

http://www.britcycle.com/products/221/221210.htm

Back