Identifing a wire

AHOTHOMAS0

XS650 Member
Reaction score
This green wire coming from the rectifer, where does it go. I am kinda at a loss here I got it wired to the point that I can get the starter going and this wire is confusing me
20220416_161408.jpg

Go to the tech section. In electrical you will find schematics for most models. If I recall correctly there is only one function per color. For my 77 brown is +12v. Pink is horn circuit. Etc.

Here is a set of Standard Wiring Diagrams mostly colored. Some of these may have faults so be aware. Jayel, Has supplied and converted these to a PNG image for us and the clarity is excellent
View attachment 135458View attachment 136328View attachment 184330 View attachment 125040 View attachment 116685 View attachment 116686 View attachment 116687 View attachment 116688 View attachment 116689 View attachment 116690

Go down to Jayel's post for diagrams of cable routing
From the tech section. Thanks to Skull for this.

Well that's not the stock rectifier looks like an aftermarket solid state combo regulator rectifier. Whether it it's the right one for your alternator brush set up is anyone's guess. once you have it figured out WHAT it is, we can start untangling how it needs to be wired. There's usually some sort of ID tag with numbers on it. Maybe even who made it.
We should see a pic inside the round cover on the lh end of the crank too.
Speaking of guessing; you bought this bike as a "used to run" project?

Last edited:
Well that's not the stock rectifier looks like an aftermarket solid state combo regulator rectifier. Whether it it's the right one for your alternator brush set up is anyone's guess. once you have it figured out WHAT it is, we can start untangling how it needs to be wired. There's usually some sort of ID tag with numbers on it. Maybe even who made it.
I will get all info that this afternoon. It does run right now actually. I have it wired that far. The problem atm is that the battery doesn't charge

There are three shades of green. See the alternator circuit in the schematics.

I will get all info that this afternoon. It does run right now actually. I have it wired that far. The problem atm is that the battery doesn't charge
See the alternator circuit... green wire...

20220417_114331.jpg

Here is the side of the crank case, does that help at all?

^It's possible it's running off the battery and your pma isn't doing anything at all. Unless somebody recognizes the pma and knows something about that particular one, try to find some markings on it to let you know who made it, and eventually a schematic for its installation. At that point pma people here can help you wire it. If you just find some numbers on it you might be able to google them + "pma" and find out what it is. Last resort send a pic to any pma manufacturer for xs650 and they'd probably recognize it if they want to.

Also, it's not extremely complicated so if you figure out how pmas work you could find what's what using a meter. Internal schematic of generic motorcycle pma would point you in the right direction.

So the green wire should go to ground?
Look at the wiring diagram in Post #5. You will find you wiring diagram there. Find the green wire. In the diagrams that I looked at, green was part of the charging circuit. I don't know what model you have so you will have to identify that. Do not ground that wire until you have identified it. The PO seems to have preserved the green pigtail to steer you in the right direction.

I cleaned up that diagram when i posted it..............It only shows a red, (power), and black, (earth/ground) on the reg/rect........No Green................. MikesXS sells his PMA Reg/Rect having 3 white coming from the PMA to the Reg/Rect out on a Red, (power), Black, (connects to Red wire) and a green, (Earth/Ground) wire,

1650236203584.png

You need to confirm what/how many, wires you have coming from your Reg/Rect to your harness

I cleaned up that diagram when i posted it..............It only shows a red, (power), and black, (earth/ground) on the reg/rect........No Green................. MikesXS sells his PMA Reg/Rect having 3 white coming from the PMA to the Reg/Rect out on a Red, (power), Black, (connects to Red wire) and a green, (Earth/Ground) wire,

View attachment 212173

You need to confirm what/how many, wires you have coming from your Reg/Rect to your harness
This was incredibly helpful, the bike is now running and charging the battery correctly!! My electric starter is finally working!!!

Hi guys, probably a stupid question but here goes anyway.. I was investigating the loom on my ‘77D to update my regulator & rectifier and I had noticed one of the 3 connector blocks under my seat has just one single green wire looped around itself. I have checked diagrams but I struggle with this kinda thing. What part of the loom is that connection for? and why would it have a single wire looped back into the block?!
IMG_4020.jpeg
IMG_4018.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi guys, probably a stupid question but here goes anyway.. I was investigating the loom on my ‘77D to update my regulator & rectifier and I had noticed one of the 3 connector blocks under my seat has just one single green wire looped around itself. I have checked diagrams but I struggle with this kinda thing. What part of the loom is that connection for? and why would it have a single wire looped back into the block?!View attachment 323351View attachment 323352
That looks to me like a reserve lighting device eliminator jumper wire. Nothing to do with the alternator or charging system.

The plug with green, black and brown wires shown there also. That goes to the alternator.

Below picture shows the jumper wire I made the other day to eliminate the reserve lighting device.

1000001716.jpg

That looks to me like a reserve lighting device eliminator jumper wire. Nothing to do with the alternator or charging system.

The plug with green, black and brown wires shown there also. That goes to the alternator.

Below picture shows the jumper wire I made the other day to eliminate the reserve lighting device.

View attachment 323355
Thanks for your help! It seems it is meant to be there then if you’ve also used a jumper wire; Could you possibly enlighten me on what the reserve lighting device is for?

Thanks for your help! It seems it is meant to be there then if you’ve also used a jumper wire; Could you possibly enlighten me on what the reserve lighting device is for?
I’ve just found an article from Dogbunny 🫣

Yamaha headlight wire around (reserve lighting unit and idiot light)​

Back