Identifying bike parts

Trevor9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How to identify what carburetors you have?. Are the cast wheels tubed or tubeless without removing the tyre? And the frame, as my frame has been powder coated so the vin plate has been removed and the frame number powder coated over.

Last edited:
VIN #’s should be stamped on the neck, all The wheels require tubes for the tires and what year bike carbs are you talking about?

VIN #’s should be stamped on the neck, all The wheels require tubes for the tires and what year bike carbs are you talking about?
Vin plate is no longer on the frame, the powder coating has covered the frame number on the head stock. The bike is a xs650sh U.S. import as identified by the engine number 4M4001877. Also a manual I have says the wheels could be tubed or tubeless. As to the carburetors, they have pod filters on, and I do not trust the engine number to identify them.

How to identify what carburetors you have?
Post pics here including side views and intake bell.

OEM mag wheels (early ones at least) had a stamping on one of the spokes indicating tube/tubeless.

Yes, the cast wheels will have "Suitable For Tubeless Tires" stamped in one of the spokes if they are that type .....

TubelessLabel.jpg

And as JP said, show us pics of your carbs and we can I.D. them for you. Stock, the '80 and newer models had BS34 carbs. They were all jetted the same but there were some external differences over the years. If yours are original '81 H model carbs, they would have a pull knob choke, drain screws on the sides of the bowls, and be a natural silver color, not painted black.

Yes, the cast wheels will have "Suitable For Tubeless Tires" stamped in one of the spokes if they are that type .....
1978 and 1979 cast wheels can be missing the "Suitable For Tubeless Tires" stamp. If it isn't there, they aren't. By 1980, they all have it, but look, as wheels get swapped, particularly the front.

View attachment 229916

And as JP said, show us pics of your carbs and we can I.D. them for you. Stock, the '80 and newer models had BS34 carbs. They were all jetted the same but there were some external differences over the years. If yours are original '81 H model carbs, they would have a pull knob choke, drain screws on the sides of the bowls, and be a natural silver color, not painted black.
1978 and 1979 cast wheels can be missing the "Suitable For Tubeless Tires" stamp. If it isn't there, they aren't. By 1980, they all have it, but look, as wheels get swapped, particularly the front.

Just spitballin' here, but if a mag does not say suitable for tubeless, does that automatically make it not suitable? Seems to me there was very little difference... if any from the first year...'78 to the last.. '81. The parts book has the same P/N for all those years.
About the only reason I can see to not run tubeless on all of 'em was if it was specifically cast into it "Not Suitable For Tubeless Tires."
Far as I know, none of 'em do.

1668452324915.png

I think they had issues with the castings being porous and leaking air on the early ones. Once they solved that issue, they went tubeless. I'll bet the same part number is listed for all years because that's all they made once they solved the porosity issue.

Just spitballin' here, but if a mag does not say suitable for tubeless, does that automatically make it not suitable? Seems to me there was very little difference... if any from the first year...'78 to the last.. '81. The parts book has the same P/N for all those years.
About the only reason I can see to not run tubeless on all of 'em was if it was specifically cast into it "Not Suitable For Tubeless Tires."
Far as I know, none of 'em do.

View attachment 229933
This was discussed to death on another forum some time ago. It might not even apply to XS650. I do recall there is a difference in the bead seating area. Some said, “Screw it!” while others adhere. Most of the 1978 XS1100 bikes were not “Suitable for Tubeless” and came fitted with tubes. I believe most of the 1979 bikes were for tubeless tires.

It’s just something to be aware of. My wheels are all marked tubeless. Do as you will.

No likes but liked the same link posted by another so deleted my post

. Go to first page in the link below,..,..... Has good info on tubeless rims.

Last edited:
Unless some one has done some research since this link.................

https://www.xs650.com/threads/are-mags-tubeless.34728/
@gggGary said in part...

"Go ahead and share, I have done side by side comparisons of the XS650 tube and tubeless, mags the only difference I can find is the drilling for the valve stem. The beads appear identical. NO XS650 mag I have seen has the second safety bead that became standard "later". Not advocating just reporting what I see. There is a weird sportster/goodyear combo that was made for a year or two that was a known bad thing once goodyear quit making that special tire.
Lots and lots of darkside riders on all brands of big cruisers, with many it's going to kill you naysayers, yet I have not found a single "smoking gun" incident of a failure due to the rim bead/tire bead mismatch."

https://www.xs650.com/threads/are-mags-tubeless.34728/post-512340

Post pics here including side views and intake bell.

OEM mag wheels (early ones at least) had a stamping on one of the spokes indicating tube/tubeless.
I think you have answered two of my questions. The carbs must be 34mm photos attached anyway. And the mag wheels have the suitable for tubeless. The frame problem will have to stay problem. Thanks every one for your help. I did not expect so much controversy over the mag wheels, although it's good to know.

Attachments

• IMG_20221115_134543.jpg
    IMG_20221115_134543.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20221115_134612.jpg
    IMG_20221115_134612.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20221115_134626.jpg
    IMG_20221115_134626.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20221115_134654.jpg
    IMG_20221115_134654.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 52
The carbs must be 34mm photos attached anyway.
Those appear to be non-stock carbs; perhaps keihin cvk carburetors used on some Kawasaki or Honda model. I believe member DaveO is running that set-up.

PS - ya never know what will stir-up inhabitants 'round here - no worries:D

Those appear to be non-stock carbs; perhaps keihin cvk carburetors used on some Kawasaki or Honda model. I believe member DaveO is running that set-up.

PS - ya never know what will stir-up inhabitants 'round here - no worries:D
I assumed that because they have the black knob on the choke that they were original.

The thick, black carb tops are one giveaway. You can also see the "Keihin" name on the sides. The originals were Mikunis and had thin chrome steel tops, what we call "tin tops" .....

RightCarb.jpg

Back