Intro to my '74 Cafe Racer Project

curtis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy Fellas. I'm another transplant from 650rider.com, so thought I'd give an intro on my '74 cafe project. I'm also blogging about this at www.diycustom.blogspot.com for more info

I bought my donor bike out of a literal junk yard for $50 cash. No title, No paperwork. (if you want help with getting a legal clean title on an old bike, I can help)

Did the stereotypical stripdown. Motor was siezed and there were a host of other issues, but the bottom end was in great shape. A whole bunch of ebay parts later I've got a motor that runs well. Used Mike's 6th over pistons and got my displacement up to about 680cc.

A big part of this project has been moving the electrics and battery along with nixing the airbox.. I've got a new battery bracket made that will hid the battery under the bum-stop seat and a pan for all the electric bits.

Right now, I'm using a cheap chopper peanut gas tank just for mockup purposes, soon I've been making molds for some fiberglass parts.

Attachments

• P1010085.jpg
    P1010085.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 232
  • bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 273
  • motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 274
that motor is looking good. A few new cap nuts and screws would really make it shine.

Back