is it seized or just the kick starter

globalmaa

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone need a little advice here. I just bought a 80 hardtail and was told the motor was seized. so fro 2 1/2 weeks i've been filling the cylinders with penetrating oil well tonight when i tried to kick it the kick lever was moving. Moving yes but not very far. i would give a little kick and it would move 1/2 inch give in another little tap and another 1/2 inch until after about 5-6 taps it went all the way down. sprung back up and did it over and over again. so being a courious little bastard i pulled off the cover and now i can't get the kick start drive gear to mesh back in. How do i know if it is the kick starter or if the engine is seized. Oh yeah for the record it is real clean under that cover.

:banghead:

How do i know if it is the kick starter or if the engine is seized.

The usual way of turning the crank for valve adjustment is with a wrench on the nut under the round cover on the left side. I think that would tell you. It turns very easily, even with 150 lbs of compression.

The kickstarter goes through the clutch, so you were probably just feeling the clutch slipping.

Like he said, put a wrench on the left hand side. It should turn counterclockwise with one hand easy.

ok so when i pull the small yamaha cover off and connect a wrench if i turn counter clockwise it just loosens the nut. maybe i just not sure what nut your mentioning .

- this nut...if the rotor doesnt turn by hand-in either direction-your problems increase a little

wheelsthrutimeErinsvrodHalloween090.jpg

I should have said under the BIG round cover. Since the nut spins, try to turn the crank clockwise. In neutral.

Back