Its that xs2 starter system

nairb

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I knew when I purchased the xs2 bike that the electric starter system was not working to well and needed fixing.
Well that time has come. I have sorted the forks/front brake/cables that were frayed/petrol taps cleaned/new tyres fitted/ etc and could not longer put off the starter issue.
I have the new parts to fix it. SO, I finally took the r/h clutch cover off......

Do I really have to take the clutch OFF. I had not thought of this. All the pics in the threads show the clutch off when fixing the dam starting gears/springs.

Anybody fixed it without removing the clutch.

ta
Nairb

Yupper, clutch has to go, if you don't have a hand impact tool get one now. #3 phillips, (yeah, yeah, #3 JIS) I like to set the bit into the screw head with a hammer smack then put the impact on and smack it again.

Yupper, clutch has to go, if you don't have a hand impact tool get one now. #3 phillips, (yeah, yeah, #3 JIS) I like to set the bit into the screw head with a hammer smack then put the impact on and smack it again.

I thought as much. I will have to dig out the manual to see how to do this. I hate taking an engine apart any further than I need to.

Perhaps I will check the swing arm bushes first..... oops, already done that.

This clutch dosent look like its going to fall off... without a bit of effort

It's not bad, plenty of how to's here, getting the hub nut 27/28mm off is the biggie, easy with an impact wrench. Keep close track (pictures is good) of parts and order of assembly.

Back