Lookit what i just got :)

dgaf27

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So for a few months now ive been looking into getting my first motorcycle. Ive really like the old school bobbers. My buddy first introduced me to a bobber when he drove his old triumph to work. So after doing some research i decided an xs650 was the way to go. Im an ASE certified mechanic.. so i havent driven too far away from anything pre 1980 that wasn't fuel injected, but im also the kind of guy who thinks they can fix anything. I found one on craigslist that a guy said was a "fun little project" because the charging system was weak. I figured what the hell its only $800. Well i did some research and figured out it shouldnt be a terribly hard fix, so i snatched it up.

Ive now owned my first 1979 yamaha xs650 special. Ive had it for a few weeks now and ive done vigorous testing and found out it needs a new rotor. 0.1 ohms across the face. Im looking into doing a banshee swap, i hear its reliable and pretty cheap too.

Well thats all i really have to say.. my plan is to eventually hardtail it and keep the low drag bars and just chop off every ounce of fat she doesn't need. Thanks for checkin it out!:thumbsup:

2010-11-01152843.jpg

2010-11-01155513_Sedalia_Colorado_US.jpg

2010-11-01152948_Sedalia_Colorado_US.jpg

welcome... in the process of doing the same as we speak. This site is extremely helpful for builders.. any question you have will be answered. great bunch of people here..

The Banshee swap used to be easy. I was looking for the parts to do my 82. Can't find anything on Ebay now. just a few months ago they where everywhere.
When you get the charging fixed I would recommend riding the bike for awhile at least one season before you start to change stuff around, chop or bob.
Learn to ride and learn the bike.

Leo's right. Get the charging under control and put some miles on her before you get too involved with chopping. Seen a lot of projects (both bikes and cars) go to the CL when a person doesn't see the value in a project. Get a little road time in and you'll be more inspired to get it back together for another ride. I have both Chopped and Restored bikes and they ride great either way. :thumbsup:

Yep those banshee flywheels have definitely gotten more expensive on ebay. Too many of us looking for them. Let's blame Punkskalar for promoting the hell out of the swap recently :wink2: I'm hoping everyone forgets about the swap in a couple of months and they become cheap again. We'll see.

Can you get a better picture of the handle bars? They look like my buddies euro bars...I solved my weak charge completely by replacing the brushes...that was cheaaaaap.

Yep those banshee flywheels have definitely gotten more expensive on ebay. Too many of us looking for them. Let's blame Punkskalar for promoting the hell out of the swap recently :wink2: I'm hoping everyone forgets about the swap in a couple of months and they become cheap again. We'll see.

I hear that. The parts are available but ur gonna pay. I ordered the adapter and didnt realize the problem till after.
Now I'll have an adapter plate to throw in my pile of parts.

I am waiting on a stator to get here. I have come up with an alternative flywheel. Once I know without a doubt it works I will post what it's origional app was. They are plentiful and cheap...so far.:thumbsup:

:bike:

Good luck with your little project! I would try replacing the brushes and buying a stock rotor before I did anything else. I have had very good luck with the stock charging system on my 81.

Back