Lowe's, O'Reillys, and other places that offer Veterans discounts

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Sometime last year I discovered that Lowe's offers veterans a discount, 10% I think. I then discovered that Home Depot also offers veterans a 10% discount. I was glad to learn of this, but I felt like an idiot for not knowing about it years ago. I have probably missed out on thousands of dollars that I could have saved.
Today I learned that O'Reillys offers a veterans discount, again, 10%, I think.

What other USEFULL places offer veteran's a discount? Places that people like us actually shop at. I checked Walmart, they don't.

BTW, you don't have to be "retired" or have done 20 years, or be eligible for Veterans Benefits. You just have to have served for the Lowe's, HD, and O'Reilly's discounts.

Advance Auto also offers 10% to vets.
Applebee's does, but I don't recall how much. They usually offer a free meal on Veterans day too.
Verizon knocks some off my bill every month. 10 bucks I think. :umm:
One thing I like about Home Depot is you just flash your Mil ID at the cashier and they take it off on the spot. Last time I was at Lowes you had to stand in line and wait for a manager to give it to you.

My local Ace Hardware is run by a vet. He gives 10% off. Far as I know he sucks up that loss, as it's not cooperate policy. Ask around at your locals.

Another plug for Home Depot... at least the one I frequent. I bought my lawn tractor there... a Cub Cadet. Don't recall exactly, but it was close to 2k.
About a month later I realized I forgot to ask for the discount. :doh:
Girl at the help desk tried but couldn't retroactively do it. Called a manager over. He warrantied out the Cadet, did some Jedi mind trick on the computer with the serial # and sold it back to me with the discount. Put almost 2 Ben's back in my bank acct.
Yeah, they get my business again.

Home Depot does not offer me a discount. I served four years and out. I’m not a protected veteran. I don’t exactly remember the qualifications, but I don’t match.
My local True Value gives vets, including me, a 10% discount.
Chilies does free lunch for vets on Veterans Day.

Home Depot does not offer me a discount. I served four years and out. I’m not a protected veteran. I don’t exactly remember the qualifications, but I don’t match.
Yes you do, if you were honorably discharged.
Look here.
Click on the Verify Military Status button and fill out your info. All they want for military info is branch of service and month and year of discharge. They verified mine almost immediately.
Edit: you have to have (or create) a Home Depot ID.

Untitled.png

Yes you do, if you were honorably discharged.
Look here.
Click on the Verify Military Status button and fill out your info. All they want for military info is branch of service and month and year of discharge. They verified mine almost immediately.
Edit: you have to have (or create) a Home Depot ID.

View attachment 205158
Well then, they changed the rules. Good for them! Thanks!

I also only did four years.
For Lowe's, if you go to the trouble of filling out an on-line form, they verify you, and then you are in their system. From then on, you go to any Lowe's anywhere, and you just have to give your phone number at check-out to get the discount. The one catch, is that you can't use the self-check lines.

Here's my other big tip for vets who aren't entitled to Veteran's Benefits, like us 4-year guys (who were honorably discharged):
https://www.va.gov/records/get-veteran-id-cards/vic/
Go to the above link and apply for a Veteran ID Card. I had no idea such a thing existed for us 4-year vets. Once you get the card, you can show it and get the discount at O'Reilly's, Home Depot, and probably all of the other places listed. Beats carrying around your DD-214, which is probably the only other way to prove you're legit.
The card you get is called "Choose VA", and it looks kind of iffy, but it has your picture on it, and it works.

Advance Auto also offers 10% to vets.
Applebee's does, but I don't recall how much. They usually offer a free meal on Veterans day too.
Verizon knocks some off my bill every month. 10 bucks I think. :umm:
One thing I like about Home Depot is you just flash your Mil ID at the cashier and they take it off on the spot. Last time I was at Lowes you had to stand in line and wait for a manager to give it to you.
I was in Lowes today Jim buying a step ladder.
Just go to the check out and give them my phone number. 10% off.
You do have to pre register online but that was a simple matter.
Been grabbing my discount for some time there and O'Reillys for a while as well.
Like Dogbunny I was wondering why I waited so long...

Quite a few restaurants offer free meals on Veteran's Day. I haven't been to a sit-down restaurant since Covid began. However, I was cool with dashing in to Little Caesar's for a free pepperoni pizza and a drink to carry out.

I'm pretty sure there was no Veterans ID card for us 4-year guys when I got out 40 years ago, or else they would have told us about it. And back then, post Viet Nam, and pre-911, when the armed forces were somewhat reviled, there probably weren't any businesses offering us 10% off. Home Depot and Lowe's didn't even exist back then...

Go to the above link and apply for a Veteran ID Card.
When I relocated to the Great State of Mississippi, I mailed my DD214 to Jackson where they verified it. It came back with the appropriate stamps and signatures. With that, I got a Mississippi driver license clearly marked “Veteran.” I also have a “Veteran” license plate on my car. Anyway, my driver license clearly identifies me as someone who served. Good for Mississippi!

Quite a few restaurants offer free meals on Veteran's Day. I haven't been to a sit-down restaurant since Covid began. However, I was cool with dashing in to Little Caesar's for a free pepperoni pizza and a drink to carry out.

I'm pretty sure there was no Veterans ID card for us 4-year guys when I got out 40 years ago, or else they would have told us about it. And back then, post Viet Nam, and pre-911, when the armed forces were somewhat reviled, there probably weren't any businesses offering us 10% off. Home Depot and Lowe's didn't even exist back then...
When I relocated to the Great State of Mississippi, I mailed my DD214 to Jackson where they verified it. It came back with the appropriate stamps and signatures. With that, I got a Mississippi driver license clearly marked “Veteran.” I also have a “Veteran” license plate on my car. Anyway, my driver license clearly identifies me as someone who served. Good for Mississippi!
From here. Most states will add Veteran to you drivers license.

zz.png

Almost immediately after the last time I renewed my driver's license, I learned that Texas will add Veteran to your license if you request it. So, too late, which sucks, and now I'm waiting till my next renewal in 18 months.
Geico offer's a veterans discount on auto insurance, and they will add Veteran to your proof of insurance card. Progressive, the clone of Geico, probably does the same. I just switched auto insurance to Allstate, bundling with my homeowner's insurance. Got way better coverage for less than I was paying with Geico. Unfortunately, Allstate does not offer a veterans discount.
I truly believe that having "Veteran" on your drivers license or proof-of-insurance card greatly increases the chances that a cop will give you a warning rather than a driving ticket.

I truly believe that having "Veteran" on your drivers license or proof-of-insurance card greatly increases the chances that a cop will give you a warning rather than a driving ticket.
When I open my wallet, my retired ID is visible behind the plastic window. Behind that is the drivers lic. The mil ID is fully visible the entire time I'm getting my license out.
Hey.... couldn't hurt. :sneaky:

I bought a NAPA Legend AGM battery for my XS11 this week. NAPA gave me a 10% veteran discount.

My local True Value Hardware also gives me a 10% discount.

I have it on my license, tags and registration. A rule of thumb is always ask. It goes beyond retail. Like Jim said, Verizon offers it and so do the normal eating establishments but my wife has gotten training courses for half price I’ve had several registrations for same and other activities free of charge. You have to ask and you would be surprised.

Last edited:
I don't get those discounts but I sure don't have a problem with any who do! Like others have said you more than earned it so don't hesitate to ask for it!

One of my next door neighbors when I was a kid paid the big price and all he got for it was being one of two "Medal of Honor recipients: Pfc. Stuart S. Stryker, who served in World War II, and Spc. Robert F. Stryker, who served in Vietnam" to have a light armored vehicle named after him.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/...e-is-shown-is-this-undated-news-photo/1684543

Last edited:
Back