Mailmans XS2 , the rebuild.......again

there's an avalanche of maple syrup comin' YOUR way!

Haha! Ok Pete, Cactus boy is ready with a plate of pancakes, bring on the Maple syrup!
EE8B1121-7045-4B8E-AF58-D924859D2A2A.jpeg

Um...guys... we've had this talk before.... Kansas City is in.... wait for it.... Missouri. :smoke:

Details.....details.....:lmao: They really should change the name to East Kansas City!

Haha! Ok Pete, Cactus boy is ready with a plate of pancakes, bring on the Maple syrup!
View attachment 184534

Details.....details.....:lmao: They really should change the name to East Kansas City!

YEAH - why the heck would they put KANSAS city in .....NOT KANSAS?

No wonder they call Missouri - the Show Me State - they wanted someone to show them where the border was...:D

Okay...back to business

This morning I wanted to get barrels on. I got out my parts and installed the front cam chain guide, then aligned the pistons rings, got the pistons in the jugs, sprayed some copper gasket spray on my base gasket and slid the jugs in place. Then I inserted the wrist pins and circlips and slid it home. Then I righted the motor and lightly snugged the barrels down.
D871A79B-02BA-44D6-83AD-DE7F50D2B98B.jpeg
D8F56A13-10CA-4287-A537-D97D6C1E04A5.jpeg
6916ABB9-1624-41A5-9C6D-6AE152D7D77C.jpeg
3399DA9D-F9BA-4E00-958F-D9A801743E4C.jpeg
A40CA01D-B98A-4481-87BA-F254D081F69A.jpeg

It’s starting to resemble a motor again. :)

Looks super Bob - nicely done!

I was a little concerned that you might use the newspaper cylinder barrel variant...but you got it right in the end.

Nonetheless, I must point out that your workbench is looking a little...untidy and there are even some wrinkles in that towel...;)

No I didn’t, but they are spring steel , they looked perfect, have less that 3,000 miles on them and they snapped in nice and tight.
I get what you are saying. I have always been told to never reuse them. I never have. I'm sure it's been done before with no problems.
What about the red o-rings? New or reused?

Maybe it's just an old wives tail. It was what I was told by many people. Then that was 50 years ago.
I do know my Triumph factory manual says to use new clips. But then they sold clips.
As I said I'm sure they have been reused by many people many times.

New of course would be preferred.
Nobody is mentioning positioning or orientation of the circlip open end? I have always positioned circlips so that that open end is close to top (0°) or on the bottom ,(180°) relative to the piston dome so help strengthen the clips grip in the groove while the piston travels up and down.
*note, Bob runs at redline often
:umm:

I never doubted that you were recalling what you’ve read correctly. But I feel comfortable using them. I could see how they could be damaged upon removal, if someone were to grab one with a needle nose pliers and twist them out ( for example ) you could bend or twist them and they would be failure prone. But I was careful in removing them and they looked good, so I’m willing to reuse them.

New of course would be preferred.
Nobody is mentioning positioning or orientation of the circlip open end? I have always positioned circlips so that that open end is close to top (0°) or on the bottom ,(180°) relative to the piston dome so help strengthen the clips grip in the groove while the piston travels up and down.
*note, Bob runs at redline often
:umm:

Yeah, that’s where I positioned the opening, at the bottom. And as far as running at redline? Redline is for wusses, I run way beyond that baby!
CC169B51-B13D-4190-9E5E-7F5CC116E26B.jpeg

Back