Mike's mini speedos - Oil light

vsop-dk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi, have anyone mounted up the Mike's mini speedo oil indicator light to the brake, so it doesn't act as oil light, but indicator light for the brake?

That would be great doing so, just im pretty unsure how to actually make that, so if anyone could help me out of this momentary brain freeze I would be happy.

This is what the instructions say

11.Using the factory service manual, locate the wire that
connected the oil pressure indicator light to the sending
unit. Connect this wire to the red/black wire on the
speedometer.

(Would that perhaps go to lets say the front brake switch not power?)

12. Connect the red wire on the speedometer to the wire
originally feeding power to the OEM oil pressure
indicator light.

(And would this go to the other connector on the front brake switch with power?)

im blank atm ;) just wanna go :bike:

Are you saying you want the oil light to come on when you press the brake lights on? Or do you want it to act light the OEM brake light warning light? If the latter, simply connect the wires from the speedo to the wires from the stock wires that connect to the OEM light inside the headlight bucket.

There are 2 wires going to your front brake switch. One becomes hot when you engage the front brake. Splice the oil light wire to that wire. Oil light will come on when either brake is used.

So the red/black wire is the one going to the hot wire on the brake switch.

I did that all ready I think, just the diode went red and stayed red, but once I got the brake it turned more illuminated red

No, the red/black wire is the oil light ground. It goes to a frame ground.
The solid red wire is the one that you splice to the brake switch wire that only becomes hot when the brake is engaged.

See if that works. If you have stock intact wiring with the diode, I'm not smart enough to know how the diode effects thing, if at all, or if your plan will even work.

Yes I did that and the problem is that the diode is lighting red all the time. And gets more red once brake is pushed.

Isn't there a way to not have the red light on all the time but only light red when brake is pressed??

The oil light is an LED. It has so little resistance that I think the diode is reading it as short. I'm not very smart, but I think you need to put a resistor in series with the LED.

I've thought of the same ;) I'll try the resistor and see if that works out. Thanks for great feedback ;)

Okay tried with the resistor and it made no difference.

The case is that the handlebar brake where the wire to the oil light in the speedo is connected to, is having current all the time due to the circuit to the foot brake and the rear light.

How can I prevent current flowing from the handlebar brake to the oil light indicator?

Just only let current go through once I hit the brake pedal or the handlebar brake.

Thanks ;)

As I said in my first response to you, there are two (stock) wires going to the front brake switch. One wire only becomes hot when you apply (either) brake. (The other wire is hot all the time.) It sounds like you are connecting the oil gauge light to the wire that is hot all the time, which is the wrong one.

;) this isn't stock harness. And the hot wire I'm not attaching to but there is current on both wires. It's a Nissin master brake... And only the one wire I'm connecting works lighting up more when connected and brake is activated. If I connect to the other hot wire it won't change in illumination but just stay on red.

Ok on most any brake switch power comes to the switch, pull the lever or push the pedal the switch closes and sends power out to the brake light, You want to hook the oil light power wire to the wire from the switch to the brake light.
This will light the oil light when you use either brake.
Leo

;) sweet XSLeo I had a good night sleep and solution came to me in a sweet dream. I stead of attaching the red oil light diode to my handlebar switch wich gives current all the time, ill attach it directly to the brake light wire that only gets power once the handlebar brake lever or the foot brake is pushed. The it won't light up until it should.

Thanks ;)

Hmm tried the above solution and it didn't work out. It's because the brake light wire is fed with power from the tail light and isn't off but on all the time. I'll just leave the red oil lamp for now.

Your tail light should have three wires... (or two with the base being the ground) One would be on all the time (Tail light)...one would be on only when the brake is pressed. Connect the oil light to that one that gets power only with the brake on and you should be good to go. Did you make sure to ground the Oil light as well?

I did exactly as you suggest and measured the wires. The tail light is on all the time, but so is the brake light so the small led in the gauge will lit up when connected... And yes there is a ground... All is tested and tried with several ways and all give same result.

The tail light is a mini bates lookalike.

Hmmm...that sounds odd. So if both your brake light and tail light wires are hot all the time, does your tail light get brighter when you press on the brake?

Yes everything works exactly as it should... Tail light has running light and lights up when I push either the brake lever or the foot pedal.

That's so odd... Just for my own curiosity, how many wires do you have going into your tail light? Is your wiring harness stock?

Back