Mike's mini speedos - Oil light

There is ground, running and brake light in total three wires. It's a led tail light... I've opened it up and it's one print board with maybe 7 diodes in total..

Harness isn't stock but custom build.

OK...so I'm guessing the Yellow is your tail light power, the red is your brake light power, and the black is ground.

Do you have a voltmeter? If you switch on your bike, the yellow should be hot, with your running lights on (softer light)...the red/brake light wire should NOT be hot until you press the brake at the handle bar lever or foot lever... that's the only way the brake light will come on and it would be really bright. If it were hot all the time, your brakes would be bright all the time...as if the brake lever was being pushed.

There's no other way around it that I can see. Can you check to see that you indeed have power to BOTH Red and Yellow all the time?

Yes your rigtigt about the wires.. Both yellow and red is hot I've tested with a voltmeter and removed any wires going to the red and tested both yellow and red and they came on hot. So there's no way to hook it up to the oil light indicator and have it not light up.

Even though both wires are hot there is a bright change when running light and brake light up.

Ok...that is trippy. well, I suppose the only other option is that the ground wire going to the brake is "switched", meaning you are supplying the ground feed when the brake lever is pressed...and if that's the case...try connecting the oil light ground to the brake light ground (meaning don't ground it any other way) and connect the power wire on the oil light to the red on the brake light.. see if that works?

Sounds like a good approach.... But, I'll have to wait testing this I think... I've rewired everything and it all works. Just not the oil indicator tweak.

The bike has been totally rebuild ground up.. And I'm 5 wires away from initial power up ;) yihaa first start after complete rebuild. Sweet

If I decide to test the suggested I'll let you know.

Thanks for the feedback ;)

I know the feeling! Keep us posted. What is puzzling, is if this works...then how is the running light getting it's ground? Perhaps the base of the light is also grounding? But that brings us back to having both wires hot yet not on all the time at the brake light...

Maybe test for continuity...negative on the battery to black wire On the tail light?

Okay, as promised...

Ive meassured the stop/brakelight and there is voltage on the stop light 3.5v even when not engaged. So, im told that I need a DC 12V contact relay to put in between, 3 wire, whereas one wire goes to power and the other two goes from brakelight and diode at the speedo....

I just dont know how to source such switch in English, so if anyone could find the right Words for this and shoot me a message ill appreciate that ;)

something like this "potential free make contact"

:bike:

Okay, as promised...

Ive meassured the stop/brakelight and there is voltage on the stop light 3.5v even when not engaged. So, im told that I need a DC 12V contact relay to put in between, 3 wire, whereas one wire goes to power and the other two goes from brakelight and diode at the speedo....

I just dont know how to source such switch in English, so if anyone could find the right Words for this and shoot me a message ill appreciate that ;)

something like this "potential free make contact"

:bike:

vosp-dk were you ever able to get the oil light / brake light issue resolved? I’m having the same exact issue as you and I was wondering if you ever found a solution to the problem. Thanks.

If your brake light wire to the brake light has any voltage at all I think you have a wiring issue.
As far as I can understand the tail light part of your wiring is ok. On your brake light it should only get power when one or the other of your brakes are used. If you have power on the brake wire I would trace that wire forward through the harness and figure out why.
Did you build the harness or did some one else? If some one else I might suggest you get them to trouble shoot it and make it right. I would expect them to do that for no charge.
Leo

Back