My Build

Viper

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased my 78 xs650 Special from an auction place near by for $500 and it was in fairly good shape. Carbs were gummed up the cam chain tensioner was worn, the starter was grinding and the petcocks leaked like a sieve.

I've never owned, or ridden a motorcycle before.

IMG_1553.JPG

After a yearish of work, it was working pretty good.

In January I was laid off with two other coworkers. The company laid off a good amount of people before hand.

I decided since I was doing nothing but making a bit of money from the government for doing nothing, that it was time to work on my bike.

To do:
  • Fix broken First Gear
  • New Transmission Bearings
  • New Seat
  • Remount the Pamco green coil on the stock coil mount bar
  • 32 Tooth Rear Sprocket?
  • Repaint the frame, or parts of.
  • Tapered Steering Bearings
  • Brass Swing Arm Bushings
  • Tracker Handlebar
  • General clean up
  • Put Fork Dust Seals on

I've always liked Clay Lubbers bike, and wanted mine to be similar.

Nov15007.jpg

http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/clay_lubbers/XS650s/79%20SF%20Tracker/

Please Ignore the cluttered garage.

I took the bike out for a quick run up and down the road March 9th, an exhaust broke and now matched the other side.

IMG_4081.JPG

IMG_4077.JPG

Notice the fork dust seals are broken, and stick up. :)

IMG_4079.JPG

IMG_4080.JPG

IMG_4093.JPG

IMG_4112.JPG

IMG_4118.JPG

Engine Crankcase opened up.

IMG_4113.JPG

IMG_4114.JPG

IMG_4119.JPG

Broken First Gear found!

I had purchased gears from a 81 xs650, and a centerstand off of ebay for a good price, to replace the damaged gear.

IMG_4127.JPG

Shift forks were in good shape.

IMG_4135.JPG

Bike fairly dismantled.
IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

IMG_4149.JPG

IMG_4153.JPG

IMG_4172.JPG

I upgraded the clutch thrust bearing, here is a comparison of the mike's and the stock one.

After seeing the frame in it's dirtiness, i figured it was time to degrease the entire thing. I was going to paint it with spray cans (since money was an object). I kept getting told i should definitely sandblast it and powdercoat it. I called a lot of places, and it was generally around $200 for someone to do both.

I found a place that would sandblast it for $25, and another place which would powdercoat it for $40. I wanted it silver/grey as well. The powdercoat place would only do black, unless i bought powder, which turned out to be a ton of money, and a big waste. I decided to do black.

At the same time I was planning on an Omar's xrws seat.
http://www.omarsdtr.com/stXRWS.html

I am Canadian. Omar's is in California. I had Robert Ward send the seat to Buffalo, and i went to pick it up. I had such an issue at the border, and almost had the seat seized by customs. I would recommend to have it shipped to your house. Saves you time, money and a hassle. :banghead:

IMG_4250.JPG

IMG_4251.JPG

IMG_4253.JPG

Removed stock seat mounts for omars seat, and powder coating

IMG_4257.JPG

412 on the frame. Has anyone ever noticed this? what does it mean?

IMG_4260.JPG

Omar's seat on the frame with tank.

IMG_4262.JPG

View under the seat

IMG_4267.JPG

Texture of the seat

IMG_4533.JPG

Comparison of new Mike's xs Shorty Megaphone Mufflers with my old ones (Stock?)

I think the Previous Owner installed aftermarket mufflers and swapped the muffler hanger brackets from each side.

IMG_4545.JPG

IMG_4548.JPG

Test fitting the new mufflers on the bike, and a bit of the new paint. (it's niiiiiice)

I have received a job and i start in 4 days, and I wanted to share how the build is going. I wanted to have the entire bike done by the time i started a job, but I'm thrilled at how it's turning out.

If anyone knows where i can get tank, seat and sidecovers painted for a good price in Ontario, let me know.

More Pictures to come. It's close to running!

Damn, pal, I'm impressed! For a guy that's never ridden or owned a bike before, you are fearless!

Nice work, amigo. Keep it up. You came to the right place for quality advice. Not from me, from everyone else!

Back