my first build!

lukach4

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was given a 1980 by a client of mine a few weeks ago. sweet deal! anyway, jumped in right away.. Had her stripped in the same day, cut in two.... My plan is to use factory rims but the problen is they have some pretty severe rust. anyone have any ideas for what I can do? i've been useing steel wool to get the thick stuff off. My plan is to paint them and relace them.. any other options??? I'll post picture soon .... any advice would be great.. Thanks... :thumbsup:

Clean your stuff first to get any oil and car wash silicone off. If you can use a paint stripper like http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/mar-hyde-tal-strip-ii-aircraft-coating-remover-3713-p-10948.aspx at least use acetone or lacquer thinner.

Either sandblast or try an abrasive like a 120 or 400 grit flap wheel in your drill. Get them as nice as you can, then shoot them with self-etching primer like this http://www.duplicolor.com/products/selfEtchingPrimer/ before painting them with preferably epoxy (if you want black) or urethane. I've had pretty good luck with Duplicolor enamels too but I suggest a clear coat to keep the color from chipping.

If you mix brands of paint, always do a test on a piece of scrap or a tin can first. Some clears will cause your color to wrinkle, especially if you don't let the color air dry and hopefully sun cure too.

i was absolutely going to sandblast the frame.... the rims were my big concern for now... I really dont want to but new ones.... and hey kent, are you talking about using the products on the rims??? they are chrome.. does that make a difference?

so I gotin contact with a local powdercoater... I'm having the chrome stripped off chemically then powdercoated.. He told me 150 for everything!!! I thought it sounded like a great deal.. And I am going to relace them... here are some pics to date. 3 weeks progress. just waiting to order the hardtail and it on.....

Attachments

• pics 9-13-10 143.jpg
    pics 9-13-10 143.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 80
  • pics 9-13-10 149.jpg
    pics 9-13-10 149.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC00290.jpg
    DSC00290.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 89
here are some udated pics of the progress from about 2 weeks ago. Hope to get more work done this weekend and even better progress report...

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 91
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 101
Back